Fire Piston lighting wood shavings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Probably teaching granny to suck eggs :)

F1 Micarta, Jeff Wagner Horn Piston & shaved willow branch.

Collection.jpg

Video (Its 6MB so if you have a slow connection it might be painful)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2535373405603057251

Well done Simon. It appears you've mastered the "push" lighting technique. By the way, when using charcloth you know its possible to alight one single curl of wood shaving. This is useful for those occasions when you want only a single flame, such as lighting a candle rather than a campfire.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I was playing around today and realised that you can make a fuzz stick, then place a square of char cloth in the midde of the curls. Light it with the small piece from your piston and just blow it into a torch. This could then be used to put heat into the very centre of a fire waiting to be lit.

Small Video

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
You guys sure RULE :notworthy

Not only performing the tricks, but capturing them on video as well!

I just tought my first buddy the tricks of the bow drill this weekend.

We've got ourselves an other enthousiast!!

Keep up the good work!

Bob

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Thanks Bob, or should I say Dank u well :) (Spelling isnt right, but after several Duvel, who cares! :D )

Fire by friction is very rewarding, the spark stick is cool, but there is something about a Fire Piston (for me at least) that kind of makes it magical.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Simon E said:
Thanks Bob, or should I say Dank u well :) (Spelling isnt right, but after several Duvel, who cares! :D )

Fire by friction is very rewarding, the spark stick is cool, but there is something about a Fire Piston (for me at least) that kind of makes it magical.

It's correct accept the "well". It's spelled "wel".

Oh by the way: Duvel is a Belgian beer!

Simon E said:
Probably teaching granny to suck eggs :)

F1 Micarta, Jeff Wagner Horn Piston & shaved willow branch.

Collection.jpg

Video (Its 6MB so if you have a slow connection it might be painful)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2535373405603057251

WOW - that's great Simon. I've never seen this method used before - although I saw the pistons for sale at Wilderness Gathering for around £50.

Thanks for sharing the video :You_Rock_

Phil.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great video mate - showed it to some guys at work who couldn't believe it worked (I ahd banged on about my fire pistion before). Have to take mine into work next week - with my flint and steel too :D I'll convert the city folk yet :)

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Thanks Fellas :D

I love playing around with mine (Piston that is, err even that sounds cheeky :rolleyes: )

I will probably use it 10 times a week on various stuff just to see what it will and wont do.

Anyone interested in some knot tying video? (Another fetish of mine :eek: )

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Thanks Leon,

OK will do a few with the camera over my shoulder so you can see it being done from your perspective rather than watching someone from in front. I will have to find a good light source and a place away from my son, who is likely to drown out everything I say ;)

Maybe a couple of tying two lengths together, some loops, the hangmans knot and some great ones for adjusting a guy line, plus some favourites that just make you smile when you do them.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Simon,

An evenk hitch always comes up - it would be a good one to show for sure - and a prussik knot or similar

Red

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, nice vid Simon! :)

Jeff Wagner said:
By the way, when using charcloth you know its possible to alight one single curl of wood shaving.

That's interesting Jeff... Any special technique, or just persistence?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE