Fire lighting with flint. AND Tinder.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
I like the sound of that! I'd be interested to know more - especially if one of you could post a piccie to show the final shape of the bag, orientation to the sun etc. - thanks!

Bob :-D

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
just got a c strike a light this morning and made a fire at work, yippee :-D :-D :-D

So, where do I find usable flint, what is the best thing to strike it with, and what tinder or kindling gives the most " definate " result.

I am not familiar with the geology of Norway however Denmark reputedly offers high quality flint for knapping purposes. This method is popular with period re-enactor types over here. Some encampments or "Rendevous" require that participants refrain from using supplies or tools made after the year 1820.

Fire making by true flint and steel is actually quite reliable and shards and strikers are available from a variety of internet sources.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partList.aspx?catID=17&subID=111&styleID=423

A strength of this method in my opinion lies in the fact that one begins with an ember as opposed to a flame. While maintaining an open flame in windy conditions can be challenging, an ember grows stronger. With a little breeze, the tinder is nearly self igniting.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
ally said:
following the interesting posted link: http://wmuma.com/tracker/skills/fire/magnifier/index.html

it says far sighted glasses only, but will have a go with my short-sighted prescription next time i see the sun....... :shock:

Yes, far-sighted glasses only I'm afraid - I wasted many hours as a youngster trying to use my glasses to light fires!

I remember debating this with my English teacher at school because we were studying Lord of the Flies and Piggy's glasses were used to start a fire - but Piggy was short sighted!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE