Fire lighting -Teaching (cub scouts)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ntl19

Oct 13, 2014
suffolk
Hello everyone

I am a cub leader and we are planning to put together a fire lighting teaching kit box. We normally just gather stuff we can find just before we do it and miss stuff, so we want to gather everything we need now so we can just top stuff up, and know we are covering all bases.

I was just wanting to know how everyone else would teach fire lighting , what kits (ferro rods, bow drill etc.) And tinders you would include.

And if anyone has any use full documents to help me teach/the kids learn.

May occasionally teach scouts as well as my cubs

Thanks
Nathan
(bagheera)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Don't forget some matches and lighters, those are the most common firelighting implements. I'd get the boys to do some research too, to see how many methods of making fire they can find for themselves.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
We have regular fires outside our hut. Started using, Ferro rods, Flint & Steel, matches, Char cloth. I would not use a Bow unless I was very proficient in it's use.
Steve
(Baloo)

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
Cheating I know but, cotton wool and Vaseline. Use as a last resort. When they have tried and tried and if they fail. This way they are as good as guaranteed a fire. Nothing worse than s pack of cubs disheartened that they didn't get a fire going.

Matches, fire strikes and lighters. At cub age make it simple. I demo King Alfred cakes and a fire piston but particularly younger cubs do struggle.

Also get a few old radio ariels with the end cut off for them to blow on the fire to get the oxygen message across. It helps keep them away from the fire too.

I'll see what I can send you document wise.

ntl19

Oct 13, 2014
suffolk
Hi thanks so far guys, we do get them all used to using matches and lighters on candles. But then move over to sets using carcloth, ferro rods and some other Tinder's for the cubs to make a fire with after a demo, but we want to be able to demo more including different tinders as well as bow drill (which I can use) just didn't know what else to demo etc / have for them to try. How to go about it and supplies needed.

Any more advice is greatly received :)

Use a ferro rod (or a magnifying glass if it is sunny) to start a coal in char cloth - then build a fire from there. That way they learn the whole transition from spark to coal to blowing it into fire without the frustration of more difficult ignition sources. That's how I taught my 9 year old Granddaughter and she loved it. It gave her a great sense of accomplishment.

Once they get that you can move up to flint and steel - pieces of old file make great fire steels BTW.

Early success builds confidence.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My go to would be char cloth as mentioned. Perhaps as well as fire lighting a little firecraft such as the Dakota pit? I learned how to make one at about that age and still use them today, and it's easy to make the link between blowing in the draw hole and the fire getting hotter. Parabolic mirror hasn't been mentioned although you'll need a very sunny day

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I had to start my Cubs off on candle lighting indoors! One burst into tears! They are absoluetly petrified of matches due to parental influence. Apparently kids don't go to the shops now and use their pocket money to buy matches.:lmao:

They have no experiences in striking matches.

All man made tinder/lighters/matches for Cubs and progressing onto natural stuff for Scouts is what we have planned for but that may change a little.

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
I had to start my Cubs off on candle lighting indoors! One burst into tears! They are absoluetly petrified of matches due to parental influence. Apparently kids don't go to the shops now and use their pocket money to buy matches.:lmao:

They have no experiences in striking matches.

All man made tinder/lighters/matches for Cubs and progressing onto natural stuff for Scouts is what we have planned for but that may change a little.

I've experienced the same hesitation with matches, as well as the excitement of the danger.

Have you tried rocket matches ? Now that is fun.

ntl19

Oct 13, 2014
suffolk
Yeah I found the cubs where more scared of matches then ferro rods but we do matches lighting candles now and then as a time filler and it makes it easy to move on with fire lighting when we are ready.

Thanks for this document its full of lots of useful info :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fire lighting is one thing, I believe that site preparation is of equal importance.
They've got to learn what burns and what doesn't, to clear away the fire site
so they have control over what's allowed to burn.
Wild fires of any size are insults to the landscape.

ntl19

Oct 13, 2014
suffolk
Fire lighting is one thing, I believe that site preparation is of equal importance.
They've got to learn what burns and what doesn't, to clear away the fire site
so they have control over what's allowed to burn.
Wild fires of any size are insults to the landscape.

Yes we always prepare the area before and explain why we have done what we have done. We also get them to practice on sweet tin lids and make them clear there stuff up by tipping it into our barrel fire :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE