Fire Lighting Ideas - simple easy fun

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I thought I'd pick the collective brain.

I'm away for a cubs camp later this year, a fairly large one - looks like there maybe 100 or so cubs:) One of the ideas for an activity base is fires. So what simple easy and fun methods do you know of for fire lighting??

A bow drill was one of the first thoughts but I reckon it may not be suitable for cubs, I don't think they'll be that successful with it [maybe I'm being too pessimistic?] - I'm looking for easy things which will be achievable for the cubs.

An older scout came up with the wood shavings in eggboxes with wax dripped over them, and getting the cubs to make them as well as start fires from them.

What Ideas have you got that the cubs can make as well as use......? cubs are aged 8-10:)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
When I was in the scouts, longer ago than I would like to admit, we were at a large camp and had built a big fire for the final night gathering. We were all sat around a good distance away from it waiting for Skip to put a match to the base; it was just getting dark. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, a flaming arrow pierced the dark and penetrated a piece of board at the base of the fire. I can only assume Skip had doused it in paraffin because it went up very impressively. I did admire our Skip :)

You wouldn't get away with it now I'm sure but it is one of the most dramatic events of my scouting life :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
A group of 8-10 year olds can easily make fire using a bow drill, BIG bow drill set and lots of energy and enthusiasm go a long way. Something like this:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Teach them to make fire straws. Plastic drinking straws from MacD's or the £1 shop, a length of coat hanger wire and some Vaseline and cotton wool. Poke the vaseline/cottonwool mix into the straw until it's full. If they are only nippers it's not necessary for them to risk burning their fingers by melting the straw ends closed for this exercise. Then you can teach them the correct process of building a fire, tinder, kindling, etc: without lighting it and then let them light it themselves by using a fire straw like a fuse by poking it into the built, but unlit fire.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I wouldn't go bow drill for that quantity, even as a group drill. I think you'll struggle to give it the time needed with so many to deal with.

I like the idea of the wax and sawdust idea - get them to light it with a match, which is a skill in itself!!

Classics would be firesteel and cotton wool but if you want to make that a bit more tricky then firesteel and charcloth and prepared tubes or bundles of tinder to blow to a flame.

I've done the last with a small group of kids at the lower end of your age range and it needed a bit of time. A skill base situation may feel more pressured to get them through so having a mix of skill levels maybe handy.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I wouldn't go bow drill for that quantity, even as a group drill. I think you'll struggle to give it the time needed with so many to deal with.

I like the idea of the wax and sawdust idea - get them to light it with a match, which is a skill in itself!!

Classics would be firesteel and cotton wool but if you want to make that a bit more tricky then firesteel and charcloth and prepared tubes or bundles of tinder to blow to a flame.

I've done the last with a small group of kids at the lower end of your age range and it needed a bit of time. A skill base situation may feel more pressured to get them through so having a mix of skill levels maybe handy.

I presumed that they'd be split into smaller groups for the activities, that's how it's worked at every cub camp I've helped with. If, however, mousey is expected to simultaneously teach 100 children anything at all then my advice would be to run, as far and as fast as possible.

Reactions: mousey

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I presumed that they'd be split into smaller groups for the activities, that's how it's worked at every cub camp I've helped with. If, however, mousey is expected to simultaneously teach 100 children anything at all then my advice would be to run, as far and as fast as possible.

Yep, they'll be split up but there will be a need to have them moving on rather than potentially spending a fair bit of time on it.

If they all know simpler means of fire making already then go for the bow drill.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Yep, they'll be split up but there will be a need to have them moving on rather than potentially spending a fair bit of time on it.

If they all know simpler means of fire making already then go for the bow drill.

Not disagreeing at all but having something really energetic as an activity can work really well within a lesson plan for cubs, you can wear them out/liven them up/give their brains a rest etc. Also; anything that gets people working together is a good thing in my book.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Not disagreeing at all but having something really energetic as an activity can work really well within a lesson plan for cubs, you can wear them out/liven them up/give their brains a rest etc. Also; anything that gets people working together is a good thing in my book.

Yep.

I guess a lot depends on how much time each group has at each base.

Reactions: shaggystu

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I use a chinese wok with old candles melted in it. remove from fire and Cubs half dip makeup pads. (Must be 100% cotton, not stitched lines in them). Allow to dry on a black bin liner. then dip other sidde. Result is Prawn fire crackers. Then jute string dipped as before. Just as it begins to harden it can be straightened with fingers (no burn risk really). Result Fire noodles:) The Prawn crackers are then opened across the way to reveal the insides with now take a spark superbly. If you cut one of tear it from the centre out you can open the wings and it stands up. Burns for aabout 6 mins. You can add scented candle remnants too for fun. Local hotel for old candles.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
They'll be split into small groups, maybe 3-6 per group. A number of bases with different activities, there is no time limit so they can spend as long or a little as they like. They will have a map of the area with the different bases marked on and whats happening then it'll be up to them to go round and have a go at stuff they fancy. This is the way we did the 100 years cub camp in 2016 with 500 odd cubs and worked pretty well. Obviously some bases were more popular than others but if some cubs were taking all the time they were told to move on, cubs were free to rove around / split up / form groups as they saw fit.

It'll be a weekend camp, two nights three days, so plenty of time for everyone to have a go at lots of stuff. I'll be expected to run one base with the other leader and maybe a couple of scout helpers. There are designated fire areas, and fire building material will be available. I was thinking of having a fewi activities planned,

1,fire building = distribute fire material for them to scavenge to setup a fire
2, start a fire = these ideas I'm trying to get inspiration for :)
3, maybe a little cooking, depending on how well 1 & 2 go. Stuff like pancakes / bannock bread, maybe even pizza. Don't want to get too involved in cooking as meals will be provided.

Thanks for the ideas so far :)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
How about the battery and wire wool trick? It impressed me as much as the ten year olds I did it with.
I still remember the fun we got out of lighting tinder with magnifying glasses. Charcloth?

A session on how to put fires out could be useful!

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Potassium Permanganate and glycerine, one of those concave mirrors. I must admit I am a big fan of birch bark and fat wood at the moment. I can't help but look for fat wood when I'm walking the dog (the wife rolls her eyes and says put that wood down!)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I suggest staying with the traditional methods of fire lighting.
If the kid gets dragged through some museum some day, watch for the look on their
faces if/when the recognize fire starting kit that _they_ used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE