Fire Grill (Pic Heavy)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I'd like to hear your comments / feedback on my version of a fire grill I made up using stainless steel. I had the opportunity of using a community workshop last year and had a load of stainless oven grills which I cut up to give me the raw stainless rod material.
The built up kit with and without a flat plate griddle. Next the joining pin to connect the two grill sections together in the same fashion as a hinge. The grill then fits onto the four legs which are pointed for driving into the ground and have three arms welded on so that they fit into tubes which make up the end frame, then bent down at 90 deg to fit over the leg mounting pins.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The whole thing assembled, and then bagged up into a canvas bag with the same bag material rolled and sewn on for handles and closed with a zip.
Any comments or suggestions? I'd be glad to hear them critical ones too.
In the bag it is reasonably light if a little bulky. I based it on the design of my first one which was made special for me by a friend, it is made from mild steel and is quite heavy so I wanted to try to lighten it a bit.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Basically Stephen, two frames about a foot square one with straight bars like a conventional grill and one with a grid on it. These both fit together with a hinge type fixing where a pin fits through to hold it together (just like a hinge). The whole thing then rests on top of 4 legs which are hammered into the ground. The legs have small arms welded on at the top to locate the grill and hold it in position. There is a flat plate which can then be layed on top of the grill to use as a hot plate or griddle or left off as desired.
You then build a fire underneath and viola a fire grill.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
cool - looks like lots of work and thought went into it! :D I like the fact that is packs to 1/2 size

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Actually not really Graham putting it together was fairly easy and straight forward, but the cutting up of the original oven shelves for the raw material to start with was a bit of a pain and took an age, about 2 days in preparation. I got someone to set up the mig welder for me and I had the thing finished in about 3 hours. They had a neat machine for bending the pipe at the corners to fit the legs into which helped.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done Sniper, good work there fella.

I like the fact it can be adjusted in height by dropping it on the lugs on the legs, handy gridle too. How does the middle stay up without collapsing ?

Is it fairly heavy then ? I don`t think I`d be hauling on my back too far.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The hinge join is set back from the edge of one side giving an overhang.
It's actually fairly light but the plate adds most weight, rough guess would be about a kilo or a bag of sugar. It needs the size for strength to hold post of water etc. but leaving the flat plate which is 1 square foot of stainless plate about 2.5 mm thick, out it's about half that weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE