Fire from Ice !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
Wow, that’s cool. I do have some doubts about practicality. If it’s cold enough to freeze water, this usually means that the intensity of the sun is very low. That would make it difficult to ignite a fire with concentrated sunrays. On the other hand it is possible to make a very large lens. I did make some nice fires with a lens of my binoculars, but now of course I have this mini version where I can’t get of the lens and they are to small anyway.
I think I’ll try this, but I don’t think it will be easy to produce a good big lens with just a knife and a rock. Maybe if you use a bowl shaped pot, you can freeze a instant lens!

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I've seen them trying to use this method on the BBC program Called "Rough Science" (incidently on tonight at 7:30, BBC2), in the 3rd series.

They had a real problem trying to create "clean" ice, which didn't end up frosted.
They tried boiling it and freezing in a bowl, didn't really work too well.
They tried freezing it in a balloon to try and get an instant convex lense, but the ballon acted as insulation and it was very hard to get it to freeze.

Just found the site and a link to the experiment:
Rough Science - Ice Lense Experiment

A bit of info you don't need in there, but explains a little bit more.
Like to give it a try though

Cheers :)
Carlo

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I remember that from the film "The Edge"

The coolest way I saw to light a fie was to polish the bottom of a coke can with chocolate, then being perfectly concave like a satellite, it focuses all the light/heat to one point!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Right, i just have bought a can of coke and a bar of cadbury's finest, give me five minutes and i will be polishing. :lol:
Cheers
Rich

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
That's brilliant. I'm going to try that once the sun comes out.

And carrying coke and choc is so much easier than carting that mini freezer around in your bergan in order to make perfectly clear ice :-D

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
there was a bit of chat on equiped to survive a while back about the possibilites of using an ice lens. also one about using moonlight :cool:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Thank Wendi for the link, i was just exploring.
I've been polishing the coke can for two days with dairy milk! i was in the chat room and Giancarlo says you are using dark chocolate aren't you. Doh!!!!! :oops: :aargh4: #GRRRRRRRRR
I'll be shopin for more chocolate tonight :)
I can't see the moon working for fire lighting, there just isn't the intensity of light.
Cheers Rich

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Stew said:
Try using toothpaste. It seems to work quite well for me.

Yeah, I echo Stew's post, toothpaste works really well.

We used to use it for removing the ridges on brass belt buckles in our kit as they were supposed to be all smooth and shiny. Toothpaste a bit of card and a few hours and the ridges were already being smoothed out.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
As we enter day four of the polishing vigil, moral is low, the tedium is starting to get the better of me. The wise cracks and jibes can be ignored, but having moved onto dark chocolate temptation is rising......
Rich :wink:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Seriously, get out the toothpaste.

I decided that I would have a can polished up ready for a sunny day (oh how daft I am!!) and it only took me couple of hours.

I did try chocolate to start with but a) It was hard to work with as it needed softening and b) I couldn't bear to waste it.

Stew sits here waiting for the sun to put his hat on!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
What, and be beaten by a bar of chocolate and a coke can! Never, i will never give in, No surrender... you will have to prize my cold dead chocolate covered fingers from around the can! Once more into the tuck shop dear Friends once more....
Rich :shock:
(Rich is suffering from a rare and acute case of coke can psychosis, the only known cure is woodsmoke and starlight with the sound of a light breeze whispering in the leaves above...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE