Fire extinguisher breath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Hi,

Stupid question I'm sure, but I seem to have a bit of a problem making embers into fire by blowing. Perhaps I'm some kind of Anti-fire breather :-D (get it? :oops: )

Anyway, does anyone else have this problem? What am i doing wrong.

I have tried blowing hard soft and medium, if that possible. Example I had a bit of cotton wool smouldering and glowing and i blew on it and the little git went out many many times.

Help oh knowledgeable ones, I bow to your thoughts.

Cheers Andy.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Cotton Wool going out??? urmm have you tried rubbing vaseline into it... I almost melted the plastic handle on my fire stick when I cast a shower of sparks onto some impregnated wool and it roared into flames and stuck on the handle of my fire stick :oops: Havent tried it with a coal yet but the damn stuff goes up like a fire ball with sparks :shock:

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Good lord...sounds class :p

Yeah I thought that the cotton wool going out was weird, which lead me to belive I had some kind of magic power :evil:

By the way I just say some of your wales trip photos Lith, looks brilliant my friend, you look like a pro in your hat :-D

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Andy sounds like you might be doing both or one of two things wrong.

Firstly are you blowing your ember as soon as its made - i.e while still breathless from sawing? If so your blowing moist air into it - you need to wait until your breathing has calmed down - let the meber smoulder until then.

Secondly it also sounds like your not feeding the ember - try to squeeze your tinder bundle so fibres are being constantly feed intot he ember.

HOPE THAT HELPS!

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Gary,

I think you might have cracked it you genius! :idea: I never thought of that :oops: and now that i do it makes alot of sense. I did entertain the idea that because i was breathing heavily that there was no oxygen in my breath which would put it out.

I can't wait to try it now, thank god I'm normal :-D

The tip about squeezing the tinder in round is a cracker to, I reckon i was treating it to softly trying to let the air round it and in actual fact taking the fuel away :-? cheers mate.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Don't be too delicate with embers ... it needs fuel to burn and the best way to do that is to compact the fuel around it.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I was doing this a lot a few weeks back. Thought I'd caught a jinx or something. :oops: But I was just concentrating too much on air, not enough on getting fuel into it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE