Fire bow drill kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Hi all,

I am making my fire bow drill set, I have lit fire by this method before but it was at a bushcraft school, I have a sycamore hearth board and was just wondering what to use for the drill, I am thinking hazel but if anyone knows of a better wood then I would be open to use it, just after your thoughts really, I am new here so sorry if this post is in the forum else were but I could not find it!

Cheers and answers on a post card!!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Use Sycamore for the drill, Sycamore on Sycamore, ive found is one of the easiest sets going

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Kepis is right. Sycamore on Sycamore is good. What I'd suggest is gathering up a few different woods and gauging their hardness by pressing your thumb nail in and making sure that your drill is harder than the base (not too hard mind) or the same then trying. I'd try the following on the sycamore base; sycamore, hazel, and ivy. I have had good success with all of these. I find the easiest, but quickest wearing, is ivy on ivy.

Good luck.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
For my two pennorth I'd add willow to the list but all the above work too - one thing about technique - I've spent many an hour turning myself into a puddle of spittle, sweat and lactic acid in pursuit of fire - actually slower & steadier (ok still quite exhausting) is far better - more coal is better than too little. As I say only my two pennorth but it works for me - oh yes rigid bow too!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
All really great advice for sure. I am all slow and steady until I can tell an ember is starting to form then a bit of really fast vroom with slightly less pressure on the bearing block. One thing that really helped me is learning to use your bow hand on the string and bow at the same time to adjust the tension on the string as you bow.

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Well as promised went out today and lit fire twice using a bow set, in the end I used some old pine in the shed just to get the feel of things it worked after a bit of faf, so all in all a good day, think the pine was a old broom handle!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE