finish for walking stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pignuts

Jun 15, 2005
I've just finished carving a walking stick from hazel and wondered if anyone out there can give me ideas for a finish that isn't a modern day varnish..something more natural that seals and protects but would bring out the grain and detail well..
cheers

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
How about vegetable oil?

It works for spoons. The spoon I use all the time I carved from Ash and the grain has become more beautiful the more I've used it and re-oiled it from time to time.
When you say you've carved a stick, do you mean there is bark left on it? Not sure the oil would soak in or penetrate the bark too well. Give it a go.

B

bombadil

Danish or linseed oil.
Fairly cheap and reliable, danish oil being more expensive but better at water repellence. My trusty hazel stick, (currently by my side as I'm just about to go on a mushroom foray :D ), is 3 years old and has been finished in linseed oil. The saying goes !treat it once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and once a year for life!!" ;)

pignuts

Jun 15, 2005
cheers for prompt replies i'll head off down the hardware shop...yes i have left some of the bark on when carving it, my only concern with the linseed oil is it wouldn't necessarily stop the edges of the bark where it's been carved from peeling off or damage. Any thoughts?

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Try sealing around the edges of the bark with a little pine sap mixed with ash. natural and fairly tough!

this will also work better if you heat the stick a little!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE