Fings Wot I Did Today

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I wasn't at work today, so I decided to go for a ride.
The main thing was to try out the hatchet I got at a boot fair last sunday. I spent the day cleaning i up and sharpening it and stuff and was keen to see how it worked. So I made myself a tuna, sweetcorn and mayonaise sarnie, filled a bottle up with water, packed my knives and bits and took off out into the countryside in finest Enid Blyton fashion.
I was heading for a solitary tree that sits in the middle of a farmer's field. It's a favourite spot of mine because there's never anyone around. Here's a picture of the view:

3465720418_fc42afe8b8.jpg

The trees way off in the distance (about a mile and a half away) are my normal haunt, and they surround Leeds Castle.

Here's a piccie of all my bits and pieces, ready for carving:

3465720356_6dd8cb65d3.jpg

I roughed-out a spoon with the axe. I was really pleased with it - nice and sharp and a perfect size for carving with:

3465720502_b170b7a884.jpg

Then I did most of the shaping with a knife:

3464905689_536392c161.jpg

Then I realised something. I forgot to bring the spoon knife. Doh! So I'll have to finish it off at home, which isn't quite as bucolic as sitting beneath a tree carving away. There was a large piece of off-cut wood which I thought would make an ideal spatula, so I did that as well:

3465720658_52394f3fc3.jpg

It really surprises me how quick I've got at doing these things. To carve both the spoon and spatula took no more than half hour or so. Once they're dried I'll sand them down and they will go into my canteen.
During the ride home I passed a clump of silver birch trees, all with flaky bark, which I peeled off and stuffed in my pockets to be added to my tinder pouch.

3464905441_5d71aa699d.jpg

All in all, it's been a jolly lovely day. Maybe not bushcraft in its purest sense (I suppose I should have walked and cooked up when I got there rather than take a packed lunch), but a lovely day to be out, listening to the birds and the farmer's tractor with not a single sod about. Just kicking myself that I forgot to pack my spoon knife and take a few quid with me to stop off at the pub on the way home. Such is life.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Durulz

I was in a meeting all morning with a bunch of dutch guys then this afternoon I've been up in a cherry picker trying to fix wireless network problems.

swap ya ?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A grand day out!
I spent the morning working for Mencap (mainly helping the guys with their housework...) but walked the 7 miles home. My route went through a wildlife park, where I scoped out wild foods and "useful" plants, then through woods and along quiet lanes full of wild flowers and "food" plants. I ended up visiting my close to home woods and had a late lunch at my usual bivvi spot.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Missed my usual afternoon in the woods , but got to play on the motorbike instead vrrrmmmm!!!
Bluebells are lovely again so must get the camera out.
D

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
nice axe, what make is it?
as for me i spent today practicing felling trees with college, 2 sweet chest nuts and a big 50ft scots pine:) chainsaws are fun but i dont think it would be quite as satisfying as felling them with an axe:eek:.

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE