Fingerless wristwarmer mitts made in five minutes :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a pair of loop pile camping socks in poundland last week, but when I got them home I realised that they had really thick clumsy seams across the toes. This makes them unwearable for me, just blisters waiting to happen. I was about to throw them out, when I had an idea.

IMG_0116.JPG

Put your hand into the sock so that the base of your thumb sits at the heel of the sock.

IMG_0118.JPG

Mark where your big thumb joint lies. I used a scrap of soap to give me a line that rubs out.

IMG_0119.JPG

Mark where the knuckle nearest the tip of your middle finger lies, on the sock too.

Now cut straight across at the mark where your finger knuckle was.

IMG_0121.JPG

Then use the scissors to cut through the fold of the sock at the heel. A couple of cms long is more than ample. Cut small rather than too long.

IMG_0122.JPG

Because the fabric is loop pile knitted it won't unravel, instead it will roll back on itself and then stabilise.

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

Result, one pair of warm, comfortable, fingerless mittens, in a good bushcrafty green colour, for a pound :D

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very similar to those wrist warmers we spoke about Toddy, I knew I was supposed to be sending you something, I just couldn't remember what :rolleyes:

Do you have any of that fleece left now ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know I only remembered about those when I posted the thread :D

I kept enough to do them and drew out pattern ideas too, I hadn't 'quite' sussed out how to create a wristband that would keep them up but wouldn't sweat if you were working hard though.

Are you going down to the Moot ? or next time or so that you're up here I could nip along and do them there. It really shouldn't take long.

cheers,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You know I only remembered about those when I posted the thread :D

I kept enough to do them and drew out pattern ideas too, I hadn't 'quite' sussed out how to create a wristband that would keep them up but wouldn't sweat if you were working hard though.

Are you going down to the Moot ? or next time or so that you're up here I could nip along and do them there. It really shouldn't take long.

cheers,
M

I doubt I'll make the moot as it falls on our anniversary and Carol's just broken up from school then so we tend to head off on our holidays. I'll catch up with you at some point when I'm up though

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats wonderful.

I have some nice winter gloves but find in most circumstances I dont need them.

Normally I wear fingerless leather driving gloves. (they improve my grip on the wheel too)

This is another idea

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Noticed yesterday that the socks are back in again, but they have black too now.

I think the reason these ones work is not only the pile loop but they seem to have either elastane or lycra in the mix to help keep them snug.

Inside out the seams are still thick, Nuggets, and they still rub me raw. Not worth it for me to wear.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE