Finding shops with large knife display, and other interesting things!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Went into a toy shop at the weekend in Keswick, in another side of the store is a hunting, shooting and fishing section for the adults. Nestling in the tight aisle of naturally coloured clothing were a lot of locked glass cabinets of knives. Cheap and good like opines, cheap and nasty survival types through to decent looking scandi ones. Boker had its own cabinet. Lots of little witby pocket knives.

So tempting!

There used to be a similar shop minus the toys in Lancaster centre.

Have you ever just wandered into a shop not expecting much only to find out a hidden gem of whatever interests you? Of so where and what did they sell?

PS I'm not really a knife guy, not my thing but this was a decent selection that got my interest.

Reactions: santaman2000

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Went into a toy shop at the weekend in Keswick, in another side of the store is a hunting, shooting and fishing section for the adults. Nestling in the tight aisle of naturally coloured clothing were a lot of locked glass cabinets of knives. Cheap and good like opines, cheap and nasty survival types through to decent looking scandi ones. Boker had its own cabinet. Lots of little witby pocket knives.

So tempting!

There used to be a similar shop minus the toys in Lancaster centre.

Have you ever just wandered into a shop not expecting much only to find out a hidden gem of whatever interests you? Of so where and what did they sell?

PS I'm not really a knife guy, not my thing but this was a decent selection that got my interest.
After reading your thread title I was going to mention that one in Keswick but after I clicked in the thread you already know about it.
Its a weird mix in there isn't it?

Toys, cammo gear, airguns and knives.
Some decent stuff as well.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
My therapist will tell me not to visit there! (my precious, shine, sharp precious) best book a session, ha ha

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There used to be a tobacconists in Keswick that sold knives even fishing stuff. Near a less well-known chippy called the kingfisher iirc.

I think there was a similar shop in Kirkby Lonsdale too iirc. Any more?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Used to be a stall in Birmingham Market with all kinds of knives on display, I do not know whether they are still there, or have fallen victim to political correctness.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There used to be a tobacconists in Keswick that sold knives even fishing stuff. Near a less well-known chippy called the kingfisher iirc.

I think there was a similar shop in Kirkby Lonsdale too iirc. Any more?
Called Field And Stream or something like that?
Well, I was in that chippy today and the fishing and whatnot shops not there, been gone for some years now.
That chippy is a load better than the one further up the hill past the moot hall as well.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
There used to be similar shops in many large towns and villages back in the day , but like everything else now the internet shopping dominates .

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
It's the same as many others have said, there used to be.....

How the few have spoilt it for others. There used to be a shop in Ashford, an agricultural shop, that sold electric fences, veterinary medicines and had a large gun and knife section. It was called 'Wool growers' and had the sheep fleece sales area to the back (an industrial area).

As the town expanded around it, it found itself a land locked agricultural area, and a number of undesirables used to make it difficult for genuine customers on occasion.

Now if your in Faversham, Kent. There is a little second hand shop that is a gem of a place, and has regular influx of bushcraft toys, amongst normal day to day bits.

But overall I know of nothing nearby me.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
It's the same as many others have said, there used to be.....

How the few have spoilt it for others. There used to be a shop in Ashford, an agricultural shop, that sold electric fences, veterinary medicines and had a large gun and knife section. It was called 'Wool growers' and had the sheep fleece sales area to the back (an industrial area).

As the town expanded around it, it found itself a land locked agricultural area, and a number of undesirables used to make it difficult for genuine customers on occasion.

Now if your in Faversham, Kent. There is a little second hand shop that is a gem of a place, and has regular influx of bushcraft toys, amongst normal day to day bits.

But overall I know of nothing nearby me.

What’s the name of the shop in Faversham, please mate?

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
What’s the name of the shop in Faversham, please mate?
It is a second hand shop, but no name, the address is 78a Preston Street. Really kind lady runs it, it is only open 10-3pm Friday and Saturday, stuff comes in regularly, so worth a frequent look.

Edited - for the silly mistake in shop number.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Kadushu

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I didn't know until recently that Victorinox had a flagship store in London, but the website says opening April 21 so maybe now shut? Would have liked to have a look :(

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
It is a second hand shop, but no name, the address is 28a Preston Street. Really kind lady runs it, it is only open 10-3pm Friday and Saturday, stuff comes in regularly, so worth a frequent look.

This doesn’t exist now, I’m afraid. Unless I went to the wrong place. 28a Preston Street is a side alley next to a bike shop and it’s just someone’s flat. I asked the lady who lives nearby and she said there’s no camping/bushcraft shops there.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
according to this website https://unilocal.co.uk/united-kingdom/faversham/faversham-cleaners it is supposed to be a cleaners

the mystery continues

drum roll

To find the address you turn off the main high street into a short alleyway with a wide wooden gate across it. That has several door numbers listed, including 28a. A little dog was going berserk as we got closer and it caused a lady from one of the places to come and see who was lurking about, but when I asked her about the camping shop she looked completely baffled.

Hopefully I went to the wrong place and @gra_farmer can clarify.

Reactions: knowledge=gain

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
To find the address you turn off the main high street into a short alleyway with a wide wooden gate across it. That has several door numbers listed, including 28a. A little dog was going berserk as we got closer and it caused a lady from one of the places to come and see who was lurking about, but when I asked her about the camping shop she looked completely baffled.

:emoji_fingers_crossed:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent

Sorry....78a Preston Street, it is a second hand shop that sells all kinds of things, it is on the main drag in the High Street. Apologies

Google Street View has not been updated for about 4 years, the sign is gone, as no longer a sweet shop. It is open Friday and Saturday 10am - 3pm, and they have some new stock in.

Screenshot_20220710_063209_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: knowledge=gain

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Sorry....78a Preston Street, it is a second hand shop that sells all kinds of things, it is on the main drag in the High Street. Apologies

Google Street View has not been updated for about 4 years, the sign is gone, as no longer a sweet shop. It is open Friday and Saturday 10am - 3pm, and they have some new stock in.

View attachment 75340

I was 25 shops down the road. I’ll try again next time I’m over there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE