Finding an Elusive Leak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've got a Vango Comfort self inflating mat that's developed an annoying little slow leak which I cannot locate.

I've tried the usual soapy water sprayed over it several times including one attempt with a high concentrate of soap but no bubbles were found.

I'm just wondering if anyone's got a suggestion I can try as I really don't want to chuck it out if I can help it as it's an extremely comfortable mat.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
A few inches of water in the bath, no soap, just clear water. Submerge the inflated mat in the water, you will have to press it under, and watch for a bubble stream. Don't worry about water ingress there won't be any as the air pressure when you gently press down forces air out.
I did this with a self inflating Multi Mat which failed the soapy water test when trying to find the leak. A tiny bubble stream showed where the leak was located. Do it carefully, try not to disturb the water too much, just gentle pressure and turn the Mat over, so that you get a view of both sides.

Reactions: Winnet and Toddy

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
Have you dunked it in a bath yet?

Ah, Saxon beat me to it. :)
agree with all the above. had very slow leak on my exped..dunked...VERY small stream of bubbles from around the valve...maybe 1 or 2 every few seconds..couldn't think of a solution,so just live with it..its ok for 1 night,then loses air by next morning..I can just about use it for another 2 or 3 nights if I can't be bothered to pump it up.( out of interest ,how old is the mat? interested cos I also have a Vango shangri la 7.5cm. and wondering how long it might last)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I had the same thing with my downmat, very irritating, spent ages with it in the bath working my way through it, repeated the process and never found the leak... But usually I'd expect to so it's worth pursuing...
It doesn't need a lot of air in it to work so you can make it more bendy and push down on it...

Reactions: gibson 175

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Well I managed to wrestle it through my bath each side and didn't see anything so I repeated the process and still couldn't find the damned leak :mad:

I know it's there because I can inflate it right up and after about 5 or 6 hours it's noticably softer so it's unlikely to last a nights kip with me lying on it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Change in temperature changing the internal volume?
I've tried blowing it up at different times and leaving it but still the same. Also, I've left it out in the sun and it doesn't get firmer over time despite feeling hot to the touch and just deflates slowly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE