Find the pitbull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
No not really, though technically, the bull breeds do descend from mastiffs.

hi blacktimberwolf your knowledge of dogs is excellent!! here is what i have read about the bull breeds coming from mastiffs

British Chief Caractacus was defeated by Emperor Claudius of the Roman
Empire in 50 AD. The Romans were so impressed by the fierce fighting
dogs they met when they landed in Britain that they began importing the
dogs back to Rome for use in the great arena, alongside the other dogs
they already possessed for such uses. It seems reasonable to assume
that the British dogs were at some points crossed into the Roman dogs.
Ancestors of these dogs were exported to all parts of the continent,
including France and to Spain where they became renowned fighting
dogs. Later some of these dogs found their way back to Britain. A variety
of breeds of mastiff and bulldog-type were scattered about, and most
likely contributed to the creation of the bulldog that was to be one of the
main ingredients used in the development of the Pit Bull.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No not really, though technically, the bull breeds do descend from mastiffs.

Whichever descended from the other is irrelevant; they are what they are because of the common lineage and similar end purpose of stubborn, indepenent determination.

Last edited:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
The one with the leather shoulder harness, i think and that's without clicking on the pic's.

Topknot

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yup its all about the idiot on the end of the leed. Not the dog on the other end......

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham

Pits are known for human and animal aggression...
love it, when i first brought my recent addition home my son reo, out of the three dogs that i own, it was my pit that instantly took on the role of making sure the other two came no where near that baby, as soon as the other dogs came near he would nip at them and keep them away, he never left that baby's cot, i have never seen him act this way with his pack mates before with anything else, was very strange to see to be honest, he completely took on the nanny role in the pack, he is OK now, and realises that his other pack members mean no harm to the baby, but for the first two months he would not let them no where near him, a fantastic and very loyal breed, that gets two much bad rep.
a great addition to my pack and i would not be with out him.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't like the things. I can see why folks do but for me it's a dog that was bred to have undesirable traits.
It reminds me of some ferret breeders putting polecat lineage back into them to make them more aggressive.

*Runs off to hide in a bunker

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Its a pity Pit Bull type dogs - not jsut APBTs (it goes on the number of characteristis they have) are banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 / require reistering under the Index of Exemption of the Dangerous Dogs (Amendment) Act 1997 etc etc..

It would of been better to have problem owner registration with compulsory testing, includung husbandary etc to see if you are fit owner. I belive some countries do require this before you ca nhav a dog.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
Its a pity Pit Bull type dogs - not jsut APBTs (it goes on the number of characteristis they have) are banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 / require reistering under the Index of Exemption of the Dangerous Dogs (Amendment) Act 1997 etc etc..

It would of been better to have problem owner registration with compulsory testing, includung husbandary etc to see if you are fit owner. I belive some countries do require this before you ca nhav a dog.

i agree target the owners...young lads around here are buying the biggest dogs they can get rotties,american bulldoggs,ect..just accidents waiting to happen

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
It must be remembered though that not all bad owners are young lads trying to be all scary and guff, I was bit on the back of the elbow by a German shepherd last year because the owner had het the poor thing up to such a frenzy that as i ran past he couldn't hold the lead and the dog peeled round behind him, jumped up and snapped at my upper arm, as i was mid run it was my elbow that it got and not a lot of flesh,if you cant control the animal you shouldn't have it what ever age you are, same goes for people looking after other peeps dogs for them, stupid idea if they haven't had dogs before.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Question here. Does your home insurance rate go up over there when the insurance company learns you have what they believe is a "dangerous" dog?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's not generally asked here either that I know of. But they do raise rates if they think any of your habits or dogs might get you sued. Some companies have a list of dogs they simply refuse to insure the homes containing. They usually learn after a claim of some type is filed.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I have received a dog specific questionnaire a couple of times from my insurance company. I do not own a dog, though. I have been asked on the phone about dog ownership from my insurance company when doing reviews, too.

Gordy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE