Finally tried sewing leather....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have made my first knife sheath (and my 3rd knife) from leather and elm.
Here are a few pictures
sales465.jpg

sales466.jpg

sales467.jpg

sales461.jpg

sales460.jpg

It was a relief to finally have a sew today after dithering for ages because I thought I wouldnt be able to do it:lmao:. I think the blade is a lauri from attleborough. Elm was bought about 5 years ago from Maurice Pyle, when I was still in the North East. The hardest part was twisting the leather into 3 cords to do the hanger, I have strong hands....but they were aching by the time I'd finished, but it is a bit thick possibly. Stil not sure how to join the ends into a loop, Can you use a bead to do that neatly? I forgot to skive the leather where it mets the elm liner :rolleyes: But I really have learnt a lot from this. Any joiners will know what a rod is, and I drew one out for this handle, and carefully measured and transferred the dim's and profiles to the handle block. I think I got a much better result than with the first 2 knife handles I made which were a bit free form :lmao: Any way thanks for looking.
cheers Jonathan

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for your kind comments lads. Once I got going I actually really enjoyed the stitching, sort of hypnotic....Although because I was slow and didnt really know what I was doing the thread got a bit mangy. I did beeswax it though. The sheath is bone dry now, and it clicks when you insert the knife. I attempted to do it with no bolster, and didnt get a perfect result. As anyone who has used burr elm will now, it can be a bit coarse and crumbly. I was a bit heavy handed and impatient and the slot came out a shade too wide. But I will learn from that. Use a thicker blade for one thing....:D

LOL as for rough hands, a few years in a glass plant works wonders for ones manicure....
Curahee. I have been watching Band of Brothers recently. I dont know whats more powerful the film itself, or the real life interviews....

cheers Jonathan :)

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work, looks really nice did you leave the tang full size, I have one of those blades and cut the tang down as it was too long for my handle, they are great blades for carving with and super sharp.
I like the shape of the sheath and handle and together it looks very tidy, not sure about the leather cord, think its too thick, you could do with some round shoe lace type leather and braid that, might work better.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Very nice job especially on the sheath I like it but why the peice sticking out of the end of the handle.
Nice leather work

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
A lovely sheath, not been here for a loong while I have been embarking on a leatheworking hobby...... you done a lovely job stitching that sheath. Now two small things that might elongate the life of your stitching and your leather on the sheath, If you already know all this just ignore my ramblings. .

1: You can tap along your stitching with a small hammer, it closes the awl holes and makes stitching stronger as well as flattening to your project to reduce wear and tear, use some greaseproof paper in between hammer and stitches, so as not to discolour the stitches, I cant see if you used a stitch groover but it is well worth it on future projects.

2: The edges of the leather need finishing now the easiest way and cheapest way is to seal them with spit, run some spit over the edges and rub then with a peice of smooth bone or wood until they shine up (try it on a bit of scrap first) then appy a resin or wax (beeswax, resoline, gum tragacinth or edge cote) and rub em again, it will extend the life of your sheath immensely.

But a lovely lovely job!!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for looking lads. :You_Rock_
The tang hasnt been peened yet, waiting for some thick brass sheet to do that.
I have been experimenting this afternoon with other leather cord and rope twists. I can se why they use that soft reindeer leather. I love twisting even though its tough on the fingers:lmao:
Thanks for the leather working tip's pipistrelle. I have so much to learn. I didnt do a groove although I wondered if I could do that with a ve carving gouge? At a pinch could you make a groove with a piece of plastic or smooth wood? I should of made an embossed groove on the upper and lower edges, that and skive the leather thin where it meets the wood part of the sheath....

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Johnathan
Burnish the edges of teh sheath as explained. The stitch grove is more important on western style sheaths where the stictches are more likely to be rubbed but as your stiching is at 90 degrees to most wear it is not issue.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks Alf. I have indeed burnished the edges as advised and they came up shiny and dark :). It looks better already! I have beeswax too to add onto it. Is Nikwax suitable to dress the leather? I use it on my boots and it is excelent to repel water.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Johnathan
Test the Nikwax on a scrap and see what you think if your happy go with it. I use resolene but use what you are happy with and have to hand.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Dont go mad with it though just bit at a time like when you do your boots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE