Finally... Finished my kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

Although I will be the first to agree its not the prettiest, most ornate or even the most smooth kuksa in the world it is the first one that hasn't split, warped, cracked or been dropped :( that I have actually finished this year!

It's made from, I think, hornbeam which was lovely to work but a pain to finish and get all the tool marks out!

Only tools used were axe (GB mini and Swedish carver) knife (mora companion) and a gouge I had laying around.

Needs another few coats of oil (tung in this case) but now it's almost done I am feeling rather proud of it! :)

d5cde067-51a1-3919.jpg

d5cde067-51cf-f5e5.jpg

d5cde067-51ea-f958.jpg

d5cde067-5232-333c.jpg

d5cde067-5240-2043.jpg

Cheers, Hamster

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Tiptop fella, looks just the ticket ;)
I'm abaht to upload mine :sly:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hornbeam is lovely, but only when green. It feels so hard you suspect if you dropped it on a flagstone, the flagstone would be the more likely to crack :)

That's a nice piece of work, and I like the simple shape.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Looks good mate if i may offer you a little idea the same thing i got told with my first few carvings and find it transforms them in both looks and usability is to take the lip(rim)of the cup back a bit more as in make it thinner, maybe down to say 3mm and sand to a rounded edge which will make it apear even thinner and yet still very strong. Just a thought but like i say it looks very good mate and you should be chuffed. Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE