File knives Question

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
Use old files, as they're carbon steel they will rust if not dried after use and stored properly. Nothing to worry about and can be brought up to a mirror finish if you like them shiny. Great steel in the old ones, have fun.
 
Files have a very high surface area which helps them rust. Grinding a lot of that off to make a knife will make them less rust prone
 
I've got an old 'Oberg' file made in sweden (I believe they are now called bahco) that I wanted made intoa knife..

I wonder how much a decent maker will charge?
 
As seen in the tutorial, quenching in old motor oil will help deterioration. However, you will still find they will tarnish/rust. Keep the blade rubbed down with a light coat of oil (or wrap in an oily rag).

Martin :)
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE