Fieldfares

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We had Fieldfares in the guelder rose yesterday afternoon, they've eaten all the holly and most of the hawthorn now. Possible sign of hard winter as they only go for the guelder rose as a last resort.

These aren't my shots, they're very good though and show the bird well. I couldn't get out to them without scaring them away, saw through living room window :).

Fieldfare.jpgFieldfare_3.jpg

Up here in East Lothian I have seen flocks c50+ Fieldfares and Redwings. Scouring the hedgerows. Quite a few Waxwings arriving too. The Jays had a hard time earlier in autumn as there were a dearth of acorns for them to gather and hide. I'm refilling my feeders every three days now as the Great/Blue/Coal/Long Tailed Tits spend their whole days munching. Nijer disapears like snow off a dyke when the Goldfinches and Siskins arrive.

Fieldfares are braw birds. Beautifully coloured.

Windy

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I love seeing the Fieldfares and Redwings around at this time of year. They're kind of like winter Swallows. Poor birds seem to be struggling with the lack of apples though.

I was lucky enough to get caught up in a flock of them while walking the dog this week. They came piling in and suddenly the hedges to both sides of me were full of them. They didn't seem bother by me or the dog.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Fieldfares are beautiful birds. My resident blackbirds are hoovering up sultanas and fatball pieces, and the sparrows and robins are clearing up the seeds and crumbs. Tits are only sporadic visitors at the moment and we don't really get finches unfortunately. Bit sparse sadly. Still, if we keep feeding, more will come.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I keep wondering if there is something I can put out for curlews and snipe? Get a lot of both at this time of year

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Really? didn't know that. I'm afraid I try to psych them away from us round here because the farmer just ploughs straight through their nests. A few years back we had masses nesting in the fields ... then the ploughboys came. The birds dived at the tractors, screaming. I just had to go out for the day, was in tears at their loss, the deaths of the chicks and eggs. We get 2 or 3 birds each spring tumbling and calling over the fields, I do greet them but then just wish them away, to leave, find somewhere safer. I tried telling the farmer about the subsidies and help he could receive ... to no avail. :banghead:

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
Up here in East Lothian I have seen flocks c50+ Fieldfares and Redwings. Scouring the hedgerows. Quite a few Waxwings arriving too. The Jays had a hard time earlier in autumn as there were a dearth of acorns for them to gather and hide. I'm refilling my feeders every three days now as the Great/Blue/Coal/Long Tailed Tits spend their whole days munching. Nijer disapears like snow off a dyke when the Goldfinches and Siskins arrive.

Fieldfares are braw birds. Beautifully coloured.

Windy
carefull windy not everone knows what kind of dyke your meaning;lol:p

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I thought fieldfares didn't nest on the ground? Never seen one do that.....a bit confused how you would plough through them?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE