Field washing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Right , everytime I go out in "the field" its sop to used your mess tin for a wash and shave, I find this revolting and a bit of a pain the the neck

Anyone have any alternatives to a mess tin ? I've found gucchi folding wash basins but they are all too big , and I reckon my crusader mug would be too small

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Go to your local fishing tackle shop and ask for a "ground bait mixing bowl".
They're made of a waterproof fabric come in various sizes and can be folded down small.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
or get a folding bucket from Trek Direct its not as big as one of those folding wash bowls such as you would get from cotswoldOD or F&T and has the obvious other function of being a bucket.. you can use it to do the washing up to!

and everyone washing "in the field" remember to use biodegradale soap! :nono:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Also never forget the power of the 'Baby Wipes' 1 for a wash.. 3 for a bath !! :super: (I think you can even get them with bug dope on these days)

leon-1

Mercury, how many water bottles do you carry, I used to carry 2, this meant that I could carry two mugs, one to wash shave with the other to cook and drink out of, it is only a suggestion, but it worked for me for a long time :eek:):

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
have to admit I never shave when off camping or bushcrafting. It just gets to be impossible as my brother, dad and me can all grow a full beard in a few days. Before I grew a beard I used to have to shave 3 times a day and if I was going out on a date I would take a razor with me! :yikes:

weird thing is I'm now going bald but still have lightning fast growth of steel wool on my chin :shock:

I never did find a suitable answer to your dilema and just gave up in the end. Fortunately I was never in the forces. My brother was in the RAF and got off of being on a charge for not shaving when he pointed out to the sergeant that he had stood and watched him shave less than an hour previously :rolmao:

J

JeremyH

We use an Ortlieb folding bowl - available from
www.knoydart.co.uk
and others. It comes in 5ltr, 10ltr and20ltr.
The wee one is fine for everyday things and it has a multitude of uses. Have often used it to purge shell fish...as well as socks etc..!

Natural washes/soap are best - no yucky chemical waste products and the best yet is the Olive oil soap (savon de Marsaille) that can be used for everything even lubricating zips!!! :roll:

JeremyH

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Instead of carrying an Ortlieb washing up bowl I find that using one of my small dry bags works perfectly (15l - the one I carry my sleeping bag in.). Turn it inside out, roll down the top a few turns and you have a perfect basin for washing, shaving - whatever. When you finish, empty it out turn it the right way round and repack. Easy and no extra weight than you would carry normally.

George

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I don't shave when in the bush, because a small nick can go septic very quickly. For cleanup I carry sanitary wipes of some kind, but when hunting, I bathe myself in a sweat bath that can be made up easily in the bush and rub my body down with natural plants (usually sage) for their scent covering abilities.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE