Fibreglass kayak repair advice please

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi guys & gals. I recently picked up a nice fibreglass kayak from a guy via freecycle. He said it needed a bit of work after a few scrapes, but I thought it was cheap at the price. ;)

Anyway, on examination, the fibreglass is cracked in 4 places, only one of which is at all significant (i.e the shell bends if you press on it), but none are large, and there are no holes.

Purely as a test, I put some wide sticky tape over those areas, and took it for a quick spin on the canal near me.

Spin was the word, since I'm a novice kayak-ist (?) and it handled like a shopping trolley (mainly due to the inept pilot), but it was fun and it didn't leak. I defintely want to get out in it again.

So, I need to patch it up with a bit more than tape, so can anyone advise me on the best thing to use please? There seem to be a lot of good waterproof adhesives around that would probably do the job, and applying extra fibreglass seems overkill for such minor damage.

Any recommendations?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm pretty sure you can buy fibreglass repair tape fairly cheap or maybe some kind of resin would do it.

I repaired a similar freebie whilst on holiday in Sweden last year. Just used appropriate 2 part epoxy filler. I just had "thin" patches though, no actual cracks. I'm no expert, but maybe you should layer on some fiberglass?
Have you searched or posted on SOTP (Song of the paddle?)

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
two approaches:
the quick easy one thin some epoxy down and glue the fibres together again. simply apply like glue or varnish.
or sand it down a bit to remove some glass then strengthen as above and let it set. then apply glas cloth or mat and soak in epoxy. then set.
this should doo the trick unless its in a prominent position ie under bow/stern ar directly underneath boat
lonja

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If you have to buy sealant, I'd repair it properly. Proper sealant comes in at a tenner a tube, and silicone sealant is a no-no. Fibreglass and epoxy resin isnt too dificult to work with, and shouldn't take too long.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thank you everyone. Now all I need is some dry weather and spare time to actually do the job. Neither seems readily available at the moment.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
where on your kayak is the hole/ crack? a simple fibre glass repair kit from halfords is about the best and most affordable option . hope this helps. as long as your patience holds you will be ok. where are you based ?as im a kayak and canoe coach and might be able to help you.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
where on your kayak is the hole/ crack? a simple fibre glass repair kit from halfords is about the best and most affordable option . hope this helps. as long as your patience holds you will be ok. where are you based ?as im a kayak and canoe coach and might be able to help you.

Based in South Wales, near Pontypool. Cracks are distributed all over the canoe, but mainly at about 1/3 distance from either end.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Before you patch the cracks it's best to drill a little hole at the end of each one, this will stop the crack spreading.

Ben

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE