Fibre Pile ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
What happened to fibre pile material for clothing ?

Everywhere it seems I look, it is gone, no garments now seem to be made from it.

I have had so called fleece material, but I always found pile to be better, and have long since wanted a buffalo shirt, but they cost loads, even second hand.

Does anyone else agree pile being better than fleece ?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What size are you mate?

I have a brand new Montane Extreme smock ( still has labels ) not worn i need to shift on as too small for me.

Good bit of kit , with hood , better design then the Buffalo in many opinions.

Dec 16, 2007
I got one of those. TOP bit of kit wore it in the snow this year with out a t shirt on, bit itchy but was toasty warm and comes with the hood.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It is good stuff. I was a keen climber/winter hill walker in the very early 70's and a lot of us dumped Ventile in favour of pile jackets and PU nylon anoraks, they kept us a lot drier (and warmer) in the Snowdonia winters than sodden Ventile ever did.

I'm using a Berghaus Polar Fleece jacket these days, works very well (so does my £5 ex army fleece) but you don't see that many pile jackets as such these days that are affordable. That said, thinking back, my first 'North Cape' jacket cost half a weeks pay 35 years ago.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
That said, thinking back, my first 'North Cape' jacket cost half a weeks pay 35 years ago.

LOL 'North Cape' that's a blast from the past... I had a Navy Blue Pile Jacket by Javelin I think or it might have been a Field and Trek own brand??

Either way it was comfy and warm and wicked well but was about as windproof as a string vest.

Fibre pile is very hard wearing. But it just fell out of fashion with the introduction of polar fleece from Malden Mills etc. Buffalo kit still uses it to good effect and mated with a pertex outer it's well windproof.

I'd reccomend the Belay Jacket from them and the sleeping bags are really good if a bit bulky...

Cheers

John

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
LOL 'North Cape' that's a blast from the past... I had a Navy Blue Pile Jacket by Javelin I think or it might have been a Field and Trek own brand??

Either way it was comfy and warm and wicked well but was about as windproof as a string vest.

Fibre pile is very hard wearing. But it just fell out of fashion with the introduction of polar fleece from Malden Mills etc. Buffalo kit still uses it to good effect and mated with a pertex outer it's well windproof.

I'd reccomend the Belay Jacket from them and the sleeping bags are really good if a bit bulky...

Cheers

John

LOL spot on, a blast from the past, IIRC North Cape did an open pile which had zero wind shielding and a closed pile which was sort of wind proof, either under a Blacks Cagoule (PU nylon) kept the wind and rain out; happy days :) Peter Storm and HH were good back around then, the HH thermals were a real luxury back then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE