FFD's or similar Trauma Dressings ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi All,

I was thinking of getting a newer set of FFD's as I always carry a couple around with my gear and the ones I have now,the standard old brit ones, have lost their seal and the integrity of the outer is about to give up the ghost. I've seen brit ones up for sale here and there but are there others that will do maybe a better job ? (and where can you get hold of them ?)

Depends on what you are using them for ! I hear you all shout, well I haven't had to use one in anger yet but I'm assuming that if I do it will basically be used as a pressure pad for the staunching of high volume blood loss, in combo with proper use of the catty elastic blood flow regulatory band ( I don't want to say the T word as I know there are some anti T theories / theorists knocking about ;) ).

Also do some work better with the attatchment / holding method supplied removed ( if one can do so without compromising sterility issues ) and likewise sterile elastic or other bandage / strapping used instead ?

Be nice to hear maybe from some of the proffesional medics that I know must visit these pages on blood loss prevention and replacement in major traumatic amputation, and the relevance and importance of sterility in these cases also.

Cheers, Spartan

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
SP services sell the T4 and T6 trauma dressings. These are the civilian version of the Israeli dressings, the packaging isn't as robust but they are cheaper and less military looking. They come with a clip device to keep the elastic bandage tight.
I've used them at work for serious bleeds and they work very well.

The old FFDs are still good though, unchanged for nearly 100 years.

Last edited:

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I was trained as a team medic on tour in Iraq. FFD's are good, but the attaching bandages are pretty useless. We were always told to use them with a separate bandage. However FFD's were superseded at that time by the newer type which included an elasticated band to hold the dressing in place and apply pressure at the same time. These are very good but it haven't seen any since. The Old FFD's were still prevalent by the time I'd left.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I have not done that course.

You seem preoccupied with the dressing, why don't you do the course first and then make an informed decision about what kit you ought to carry?

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Mick721
I was trained as a team medic on tour in Iraq. FFD's are good, but the attaching bandages are pretty useless. We were always told to use them with a separate bandage. However FFD's were superseded at that time by the newer type which included an elasticated band to hold the dressing in place and apply pressure at the same time. These are very good but it haven't seen any since. The Old FFD's were still prevalent by the time I'd left.

Thanks Mick,
Nice to hear from someone who has used FFDs, Amazing that they still seem to be in use, they must be quite good at doing what they're supposed to :)

Wildgoose
SP services sell the T4 and T6 trauma dressings. These are the civilian version of the Israeli dressings, the packaging isn't as robust but they are cheaper and less military looking. They come with a clip device to keep the elastic bandage tight.
I've used them at work for serious bleeds and they work very well.

The old FFDs are still good though, unchanged for nearly 100 years.

Cheers WildGoose,
Good to get a reply from someone use to the management of serious bleeds. I'll have a look around the SP Services site later tonight, nice to know that there is a civilian equivalent to these dressings, and also as above that the old FFD seems still to be a usefull tool ! :)

Sp ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE