Few bits made this week

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
First of all a couple of spoons of which are my first attempt with a spoon knife,second a first attempt at a fire steel with button compass set in the top,and a Solomon bar weaved neck cord,then my modified mora survival knife sheath,removed the horrible belt loop and replaced it with a weaved Solomon bar belt loop,the metal work will be replaced with a smaller shackle and snap link.Last but not least hamish AKA dreadhead made the green neck pouch for my mora 164 which I'm very pleased with.Hope you like them your comments appreciated regards Trev.

A1ACA410-C07B-4D93-B1F3-1F875AA093E7-485-000000471325DD99.jpg

1C7E20C6-373A-4DA6-8028-9AD752CF6DE9-485-00000048F6BC671F.jpg

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
the compass is bang on mate checked it with another one.There is also 4cm between the end of the rod and the bottom of the compass so no interference either way

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
the wood i beleive is pine,i found a really old dead windfall took a small piece and luck of the draw the spoons came out ok .All i did was finished them with walnut oil as its food safe

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
the compass is bang on mate checked it with another one.There is also 4cm between the end of the rod and the bottom of the compass so no interference either way

Cool, wasn't sure if the iron content would throw it and it's hard to find a deffinative answer online as to any effects the rods may have on compasses. Remember teaching navigation to a group of ramblers and there were a couple whos theory was great but on the hill they were all over the place. Took a while to figure out they were wearing magnetic bracelets for arthritis and it was throwng their compasses off. Seen the same with mobiles and radios in shirt pockets.
Nice work on the spoons too, like the lines of the lower one in the photo.
Cheers
GB.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
i like the firesteel too especially as its my first attempt.Good to make like this as you can stick it in the ground if needed to get a compass reading as apossed to holding it in cold hands the soloman braiding is nice too good and strong also doubles as spare cordage if needed just undo it and you got over two meters for emergency use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE