Feuerhand storm lamp leak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
Hi I was bought a lamp for my birthday I have filled it up but noticed while moving it round it weeps out of the filler I'm not sure if it's the joint or cap, do these lamps tend to leak? If not I'll see if i can get it replaced. Thanks for any guidance.

Dave

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've got a vintage one, no leaks. Maybe you over filled it and the seal isn't tight enough? My seal is leather and is swollen with greasy paraffin so I guess that helps keep it tight as it's pretty darn old.

Get a picture of the filler cap, seals and thread on the body of the lamp and that will deffiantely help us find the issue. :)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I have had this same problem.i contacted the company which I purchased from and they sent me a new filler cap which solved the issue its also worth noting that you don't wanna be putting too much fuel in these lanterns as the fuel does like too creep out over time if the lantern is tilted.i have a pair of lanterns that I take on campsite camps.i love the ambient light they give off and with all their quirks n quibbles their still worth it. It's worth noting that all the parts on the feurhand s are replaceable so contact your seller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep, fill it halfway, if it still leaks then the seams of the steel aren't tight and it needs replacing.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
They certainly leak if tipped, there's no seal around the wick section. I fill below the filler cap line and don't expect leaking. They're kinda basic.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I got the replacement this weekend this one doesn't leak from the frame sides if I tip it towards the filler I get a small bead form round the base of the filler but nothing like the dripping of the last one so I'll stick with this one I think. I will fill with less fuel in future.

Dave

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Refurbin old rusty lamps, I have had success with pouring a little epoxy resin (in my case, it is the stuff used for laying up fibreglass), and rolling it around to coat the inside of the tank.

This seems to work with paraffin ok. But I have had issues trying the same with meths, which seems to disolve out the resin, or some compound in it. The result is meths that stinks of acetone/toluene and a sticky mess coating the item.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE