ferrocerium blanks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2012
essex
What sizes do people like best. How much they cost you.
Been looking around and not many places in the uk sell them and those places are not cheap.
been looking at 4" to 6" rods 10mm to 1/2 thick,

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Jan 15, 2012
essex
That seller on ebay does those sizes at a good price, i got 2 in the post at the moment.
been talking to him this week if he can get larger ones, he is getting me some prices at the moment, so hoping he will come up with some good prices.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I get mine bulk from the USA but i have some from this seller and they work just fine. There is upward pressure on prices this year as rare earth metal prices have been rising for a while now.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I just received two of the ferro rods from the chinese seller on ebay, first impressions are good using the back of a hacksaw blade, almost as many sparks as the LMF army rod I have have, thanks BareThrills for the link. Now I just need to put a handle on them.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Got these in the post today 1/2" x 5" Good price of £10 each
P6220246.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huge-1-2-...586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231deb8ca2

Good rods and a very good price, got them in ten days and postage in the price.
He does some 1/2 x 2.5" ones for less than 4.50 too

Survive

Nov 3, 2011
Canada - eh?
ive never really found ive needed more than 8mm x 80mm. Ive set them in antler tines, paracord wrapped them and just drilled them and hung round my neck. firesteel.co.uk do them or there are some on evilbay. there is a chinese ebayer selling a set of 8 for under $20 with free post. Thats not far off wholesale pricing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150797014504?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Hi there, was wondering how to drill these without causing the material to spark and burn? Thanks

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi there, was wondering how to drill these without causing the material to spark and burn? Thanks

To answer your question though, apparently you just use a standart metal frill bit and go very slowly. there will be some sparks. only what I've read, I lean towards Handles myself.

I'm pretty sure there is a post on here somewhere from the past 2 years where someone did this and gave there results.

hope this helps,

atb,

Ste

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE