Ferreting, who does it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack sparrow

Feb 23, 2007
Warwickshire
This is just a general question, for a future project im going to be working on, how many of you go ferreting or would have an interest in learning about ferreting. Im asking as im going to try and put a few articles together on the subject, for this site, and im just after a bit of feed back of what would interest you and what would you find benifical in such articles. so i can then write them to suite your needs.

If this is in the wrong place, i apoligise and could a mod please move it, im still learning my way around :)

Many thanks
YIS
JS

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Don't go, but have been ferreting before. We set up some long nets plus netted all the holes around the berry and put a ferret down. We caught 1 rabbit in the long nets and 1 in the entrance hole nets. Also caught another rabbit on another berry, but that was all we got.....There don't seem to be many people going ferreting nowadays and landowners seem to be glad if you ask to use there land. My mate with the ferrets, could choose where he wanted to go, though we did not do that well, the day I went along...
I have not seen ferreting mentioned on here before Jack, but I bet many members would have of done it before, go, or would be interested in it.....
I really enjoyed my morning out......

jack sparrow

Feb 23, 2007
Warwickshire
Cheers for that Jon, im the same nowadays i just get phone calls out of the blue asking me to sort out the rabbits.
but it does seem to be making a slight comeback, as a humane way to sort a problem out, compared to other methods.

The reason for the articles was Tony asked me if i would as an interest thing i think, for the site, as it is an outdoors craft, and i said yes :lmao: :lmao: :D

YIS
JS

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Haven't done it Jack, but would love to learn - would also love to try long netting given half a chance.....

Red

A

Alex Thorneycroft-Taylor

To be honest with you their are a few people out there who already write articles on the subject - however!

I think it would be really interesting if you could write about the husbandry side of it. Most people are put off ferreting because the respective other halves, parents etc etc will kill off a budding ferreter before he even thinks about using his nets.

Just a thought from my side of the fence.

Cheers
Alex

jack sparrow

Feb 23, 2007
Warwickshire
Cheers for that Alex, i understand what your saying about other articles, but i wanted to try and do a few that might interest the members on here, and maybe answer a few of there questions.

Husbandry is a good one. Added to list cheers.

YIS
JS

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
jack sparrow said:
This is just a general question, for a future project im going to be working on, how many of you go ferreting or would have an interest in learning about ferreting. Im asking as im going to try and put a few articles together on the subject, for this site, and im just after a bit of feed back of what would interest you and what would you find benifical in such articles. so i can then write them to suite your needs.

If this is in the wrong place, i apoligise and could a mod please move it, im still learning my way around :)

Many thanks
YIS
JS

I'd be interested in both the articles and real life experience. Ferreting seems to be more accepted now than air rifle shooting that I used to do..

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jack technically speaking - 300 yards of net - belly at the bottom, good bundle of hazel stakes...I suspect thats traditional?

Red

jack sparrow

Feb 23, 2007
Warwickshire
sure is Red, never tried that myself, seen it used a few time though, i use the quick set system, what you see now adays is the longnet is used more of a ferreting accessary than its orginal intention of been used on a night along hedgrows.

Thanks for the feedback so far, its really apreicated :You_Rock_

YIS
JS

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Used to go two to three times a week, even got paid to do it occasionally :) .

Golf clubs and local country parks were always a safe bet to get permission from.

Would be interested to see a few articles on here about the subject as there is'nt too much on the net about it, especially in scotland.

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
yes I go. iv got 3 ferrets but tend to use them more with the hawks than net these days.all good fun but you do bag more with the nets.I would never tell the farmers that tho.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I gave up ferreting about 10 years ago for two reasons really - we stopped getting decent definitive winters in Bucks and therefore breeding was taking place all year round causing multiple laying up and hours of digging and secondly I am not ashamed to admit that I was very fond of my ferrets and nearly lost my wonderful old hob on two occasions which caused me many sleepless nights and nearly broke my heart so I retired him and the jills and they lived a life of riley in a huge run until one by one they all went to the great warren in the sky :(

jack sparrow

Feb 23, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Silverback, i know what you mean about the winters, this season has been the worst ive ever known for young, all season. But I have managed to work through it, but im lucky that my ferrets dont lay up for long, they quickly move onto the next rabbit.
Dont worry about been fond of your ferrets mate, im the same, i would be gutted if anything happend to them. and mine also live a life of riley, just how it should be for them since they do work hard for me.

YIS
JS

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's another skill I would be very interested in. Never been but I have a friend back in Germany who I have known for over 12 years now, and we have followed each other around on postings. He used to tell me all about his days of poaching and ferreting up Huddersfield way as a lad with his older brother, it sounded like good fun. Of course, I cannot condone illegal poaching though! :lmao:

jack sparrow

Feb 23, 2007
Warwickshire
Thats how i started up in Yorkshire as a young lad :eek: , one ferret, a few nets, and fishing line to lay whilst i was ferreting, i would go out early morning and not be back till tea time, loved every minute of it :D good way to learn the art.

I would never condone it these days though, you live and learn :D Im lucky now though as i have several thousand acres to go on, but as a stotty 10 year old its not that easy :lmao: :lmao: :D

YIS
JS

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Hey jack, i've just got a ferret two months back and shes currently pregnant. Im going to rally have a go at it when sempteber comes around, what would be great is if you could give infroamtion on how to identify warrens that are being used without a dog.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE