Ferret related Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Random!!!

So , can I ask the Ferret Keepers here do Ferrets always smell or is that just an issue of bedding not being cleaned out on a regular basis? Do the Males smell worse then the females of the species??

I can't have a Dog due to full time work so I'm considering going with a ferret. :)

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Yes males smell more than females,doesn't matter how often you clean them out they smell ,as their domesticated polecats.only animal I have known that's worse than a ferret is a Pygmy hedgehog.
to be honest I'm not a cat lover but have you considered a house cat. If I had to choose one I would go for a Norwegian forest cat.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yes males smell more than females,doesn't matter how often you clean them out they smell ,as their domesticated polecats.only animal I have known that's worse than a ferret is a Pygmy hedgehog.
to be honest I'm not a cat lover but have you considered a house cat. If I had to choose one I would go for a Norwegian forest cat.

Hi , I've got 3 cats already. - all disinterested land sharks ( eat-sleep-poop ) , just was thinking of something a little more inquisitive and I had heard Ferrets can make good pets - although I'd work it also.

I've just read you can have them descented? is this a normal thing or frowned upon?

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
you can have the scent glands removed at the vets not sure how much it costs though ,are you thinking of keeping it as a house pet ??

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
you can have the scent glands removed at the vets not sure how much it costs though ,are you thinking of keeping it as a house pet ??

Hmm , only under exceptionally close supervision and in certain rooms. More outside and for me to spend more time with directly on my days 'off' ( I work less than half the year )

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales

TBH= there is only one question here-do you live in a Norwegian forest?

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
No I dont I live in Monmouth lol ,I just found the one we had and others I've seen quite dog like .
we had pair of male ferrets put them in to be neutured and only one survived the op,so don't think I could put a ferret through that again.
Regarding descenting I think it's illegal now thanks to rspca considering it a vanity thing like tail docking, as at one time you could get descented skunks as pets,now only way is if they're imported in from Ireland .

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The scent of Ferrets is nowhwere near that of Polecats, Skunks and their other cousins and dissipates very quickly indeed leaving no lingering unpleasant odour; and they only use their scent glands when scared or upset.

I kept them for many years without issue and often had four of them living in the house full time, (in their own enclosure to sleep and feed). Get yourself a pair of females, Jills as they're known, and if treted well and kept clean you won't even know they're there in terms of smell. Kept in clean conditions and fed properly they are a very rewarding animal to have around, they love to play and will quickly become very interactive with members of the household. They are much more intelligent than people realise and a particular bonus is that you'll never have mice or rats while these are in residence.

Do it, you'll never regret it! :)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
My son has his in his bedroom :cool: Such an ace pet, sleeps on and off for about 18-20 hours a day. When he wakes up it's eat, poo and then play, madder than a box of frogs, then it's back to snooze land.

He does have a slight odour, the ferret!, but not too bad, but there again I'm quite fond of the smell. He's cleaned out twice a day and any bedding is frequently washed and the room is vented.

He was a rescue from the SSPCA, I asked about having been vet checked, neutered, etc; they needed a £5 re-homing fee. A few months on from getting him the niff was getting stronger, next thing was boy coming down the stairs shouting 'The ferret's got balls!'
A call to the centre quickly followed, obviously someone hadn't checked the details. They were as good as gold and got it sorted through our local vet. Not sure of the costs, around £50 I'd guess, if I'd been paying I would have shopped around. Yes you can get them de-scented, again, not sure what it would cost but you could probably have the two done together.

IMHO complete Hob's are definitely on the more stinky side. Jill's not so much but must be mated or spayed or face the risk of death. Ferret's just need to be handled as much as possible to train them not to bite and they can be litter trained like a cat so I'd go for a youngster for the best chances of success.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
macaroon's post above is spot on (post 10), I kept ferrets for a great many years and have done a lot of rabbit control, ferrets are actually quite clean animals if allowed to be and foul smells usually mean neglect either through dirty living conditions or when the ferret feels threatened. kept clean and well cared for and handled every day as they should be they are no problem, I used to able to feed mine directly out of my hand with no fear of being bitten and they would come when called when playing with them, and if you want to work your ferret the best working ferrets are the ones well cared for, occasionally a ferret will lie up with a rabbit that won't bolt and you should be able to stick your hand down the rabbit hole to retrieve your ferret with no fear of it biting you if the ferret is tame and well handled every day. I started ferreting way back before locators were in common use using the old methods and then used the new methods when locators were invented. Traditionally jill ferrets (females) are used to bolt rabbits from a warren, however sometimes a rabbit may refuse to bolt and under those circumstances a strong hob ferret (male) was entered to hold the rabbit in one spot so it could be retrieved through digging (only after being patient and allowing plenty of time for bolting, the modern locator has made some people rather impatient). If a rabbit lays up it's important for it to be kept in one place, a strong hob is better than a jill for that, however it is best for the rabbit to bolt in the first place of course and jiils are mostly used for that but not exclusively. Get a jill ferret, and if you work it be quiet and patient when operating to avoid uneccessary digs (though you don't always get what you want) and you will have some great fun.

magpiewolf

Nov 10, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I've had ferrets for a couple of decades now, pet and working (at the same time) and they are cute, inquisitive, thieving, playful, affectionate and only smelly when dirty or terrified (they do a skunk-like metallic stink when they're extremely scared. I've only smelt that twice in more than 20 years, though). I've had them in the house, in my delightful offspring's bedroom (I thought they were going to live in a cage there but in fact they ended up migrating between sleeping bag and sock drawer) and outside, in groups from a solo hob to five mixed (hobs castrated) in a colony. By themselves they do need quite a bit of handling and playing with, to keep them cheerful and well-exercised. If you have a group, they play, chase, wrestle and exercise each other, so need less human time (but still some!) every day. I've had them on show at country fairs, taken them to kindergartens and schools and they've been a huge hit every time, nobody's ever remarked on the smell and they've never bitten anyone (well....me, once or twice, but not hard. I was once towed about fifty feet by a determined jill who wanted to take me back to her nest but she wasn't biting, just carrying my hand in her teeth.)

They do have a distinctive sweet musky scent, but it's not unpleasant nor strong if they're kept clean. They're easily litter-trained, since they have a fetish for relieving themselves in corners. I start mine off with a litter-tray made from half a 2L milk carton in every corner, then when they've established which corner(s) is "it", just put a litter tray there and clean up regularly. The jills do need a little care when they come into season - I have a jill and a castrated hob at the moment, and I simply take the jill along to the vet when she's fully in season and get her a hormone jab - if you ask your vet for the "jill jab" they'll know which one you mean. It's a one-shot cure for being in season and costs me £7.50 a year. Big deal.:rolleyes:

The reason for this is that ferrets are both photoperiodic, meaning they come into season as the days lengthen, and induced ovulators, so the jill won't come out of season again until they think they've mated. The jill jab induces ovulation and brings them out of season. If they stay in season too long, it weakens their immune system, they're inclined to get infections and often develop leukaemia.:(

All mine have worked, though to them it's just more and better play! The only times I've had a lie-up were when they were peckish and found a nice litter of baby bunnies to snack off, but they've never stayed down more than a couple of hours and come straight back to hand when they do come up. They get on fine with the dogs, I get them used to each other from babyhood by giving them dishes of milk to share together. You could probably do the same with cats, though I've never tried it. Our cats regarded ferrets as weird-looking other cats anyway, I think.

Find a ferret-keeper and have a sniff. If you don't mind the scent of ferrets (better than wet dog!) then go for it! I wouldn't be without mine.:cool:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Good Post - thank you.

I haven't got a problem with smells as I produce enough myself :eek: but I'm just trying to think longer term and considerate of others in the house.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I find the ferret smell rather homely.

they are great fun, once you get past their quirks. (arching up their back and dancing is threatening to many people)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE