Feral Dogs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Along with the dog attack thread, do you suffer from feral (domestic dogs gone wild) dogs running around in packs? What are their effects on wildlife, domestic animal life and attacks on humans?
CG :yo:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Not so much in the rural areas.I believe they are more of a menace in large towns and cities.

More of a problem here with foxes moving into urban areas. :rolleyes:

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
We've had several peoples attacked by packs of domestic (feral) dogs running wild. In one area where wolves were being blamed for depleting the local deer population a trapper was hired to sort out the wolves. Being out and about setting his traps and such he noticed a very high amount of dogs far from the towns sites and started to follow them around and soon enough came accross a killing in progress by the dogs on a doe, making himself known at the site the pack turned on him and ran him up a tree. He managed to shoot a few dogs and when they (feral dogs) left he gathered the collars and tags which he presented to the town concil that had hired him. The MNR was also informed of the incident which led to more reports being filed. I was (am) firearm instructor (private) to some of the animal control officers among others and been told of quite a few such attacks in our area and other reports in the surrounding regions. Our MNR (unofficially) now suggest that bush workers be armed (one firearm for every two workers) and report any contacts with animals in the bush. This has now been expanded for bears as well, not always that safe any more. With the advent of wilderness "grow op" it is even scarier out there. Makes it more fun :lmao: CG :yo:

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Fortunately that doesnt appear to be big issue for most of the u.k. I suppose its probably due to the greater population density we have here, and the rather smaller land mass. Any great volume of feral dogs would soon be reported to the authorities by curtain twitchers

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Carcajou Garou said:
We've had several peoples attacked by packs of domestic (feral) dogs running wild. In one area where wolves were being blamed for depleting the local deer population a trapper was hired to sort out the wolves. Being out and about setting his traps and such he noticed a very high amount of dogs far from the towns sites and started to follow them around and soon enough came accross a killing in progress by the dogs on a doe, making himself known at the site the pack turned on him and ran him up a tree. He managed to shoot a few dogs and when they (feral dogs) left he gathered the collars and tags which he presented to the town concil that had hired him. The MNR was also informed of the incident which led to more reports being filed. I was (am) firearm instructor (private) to some of the animal control officers among others and been told of quite a few such attacks in our area and other reports in the surrounding regions. Our MNR (unofficially) now suggest that bush workers be armed (one firearm for every two workers) and report any contacts with animals in the bush. This has now been expanded for bears as well, not always that safe any more. With the advent of wilderness "grow op" it is even scarier out there. Makes it more fun :lmao: CG :yo:

This was a large problem where I lived in Alaska. Hippies would come up to work in the summer and get a cute little husky. In the autumn, when they left, they didn't have the decency to put the dog down, and would leave them to starve. The dogs would pack up and attack wild life, and eventually humans. After a pack got through the chain link fence at the local grade school and severely mauled a child, it was open season on dogs.

This was never a problem while I was growing up in a rural area in Minnesota. Any dog found loose in the woods was immediately shot. Due to PETA and other animal loving orginizations, the laws have been changed somewaht and you are now only allowed to shoot untended dogs at certain times of the year. Many folks are much more hesitant to shoot an untended dog today due to not knowing exactly what the law is. Anyone who's seen a domesticated dog pack take down a deer - would be glad to shoot such dogs. They are not clean killers like wolves. They often ham string the deer and leave it to die in agony.

PG

pierre girard said:
This was a large problem where I lived in Alaska. Hippies would come up to work in the summer and get a cute little husky. In the autumn, when they left, they didn't have the decency to put the dog down, and would leave them to starve. The dogs would pack up and attack wild life, and eventually humans. After a pack got through the chain link fence at the local grade school and severely mauled a child, it was open season on dogs.

This was never a problem while I was growing up in a rural area in Minnesota. Any dog found loose in the woods was immediately shot. Due to PETA and other animal loving orginizations, the laws have been changed somewaht and you are now only allowed to shoot untended dogs at certain times of the year. Many folks are much more hesitant to shoot an untended dog today due to not knowing exactly what the law is. Anyone who's seen a domesticated dog pack take down a deer - would be glad to shoot such dogs. They are not clean killers like wolves. They often ham string the deer and leave it to die in agony.

PG
hi pierre,i was wondering about your points about the domestic dogs.Do they hamstring the deer because they dont know how to hunt like a wolf does?Do these domestic dogs actually seek out the deer to hunt?Do they eat what they kill?Would they attack a deer that is still,or is it the instinctive chase the ball in these dogs that make them attack when the deer is running.cheers wolf.. ;)

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Wild dogs in these parts (in the city and surrounding areas) run around in packs of anything from 3 - 15. We have come across them on our 'wanders', but they generally keep away from humming beans, and anyway, our two have seen off packs of up to a dozen a few times :You_Rock_ . I should think this could be down to self-preservation more than anything else, as a wounded animal is not going to last long in the heat here :cool: .

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
wolf said:
hi pierre,i was wondering about your points about the domestic dogs.Do they hamstring the deer because they dont know how to hunt like a wolf does?Do these domestic dogs actually seek out the deer to hunt?Do they eat what they kill?Would they attack a deer that is still,or is it the instinctive chase the ball in these dogs that make them attack when the deer is running.cheers wolf.. ;)

Locally, the dogs often leave a deer they've wounded. In Alaska, I believe they hunted for food. I believe that while the local dogs still have the instinct to hunt, they are not very good at it. Wolf kills I've witnessed are sudden and quick. I've never actually seen domestic dogs take down a deer, but from the sign - it is neither.

PG

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Because of irresponsible owners, we have local dogs that run together and still live at home, if you can call getting fed once in awhile, living someplace. There are also coydogs, which are hybrids of coyote and domestic dog and they can be real nasty.

There is pressure being placed on the wildlife by packs of dogs and it's getting to the point in some areas that it's unwise to travel alone. I had to defend myself with a knife and broadhead tipped arrow once and have had a couple of other encounters with dogs that were less than happy ones, so I've taken up packing my .45acp into areas where it is legal to do so and always have a hiking staff and knife where it isn't legal to carry a firearm.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Do be sure to whack them firmly on the snout, dogs are very tough animals, and this is really the only way of hurting them. A shrewd blow can be fatal.

This goes for most other animals as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE