Felt boot liners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I'm looking to make a set of felt boot liners and wondered if anyone could offer a little guidance?

As far as I can tell there two main approaches: regular flat felt cut and sewn into shape or seamless, presumably created around a form of some kind.

I could produce the seamed kind with little difficulty but suspect seamless may suit my needs better.

One technique I've found is to use a flat cardboard template (resist) and wrap the ends of the wool from one side round to other and process the same as a regular flat sheet of felt. This effectively creates a 'pitta-bread' like structure once the card is extracted. This technique clearly works but it looks like it will need a fair amount of trial and error to get something that fits comfortably.

Deep down I think my man-brain wants to over-engineer things but the accuracy of creating a liner around a 3D form appeals to me. I can create a last easily enough, taking account of multiple sock layers and 'wiggle' room. Does anyone have any experience creating felt in this way?

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Found some easy to read instructions on felting.

http://www.gfwsheep.com/felting/felt.html

After working the felt properly, you could try making a basic shape around your own foot and then using a hair dryer to finish off the drying process. Then, carefully slip your foot out and finish drying the 'sock'. Once almost dry, slip the sock back on and put on your boot over it. Take out foot again leaving the felt sock inside the boot. Stuff boot with paper and leave for a few days. I have no idea if any of that would work though.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
maybe this will help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ4s3G7hgR4&feature=related
i think making a 3d form could be overcomplicating things, you want a perfect fit right so why not form the felt around your own feet?
im sure lots of more experienced people will be along to answer your questions, good luck!

I'm not sure that that was the youtube link you wanted to post. :)

I recently repaired some of my daughters felt slippers using a felting needle, I'm keen to try to make some boot liners myself now. I will keep an eye on this thread.

You should also have a look for some ideas on Pandabean's Mukluk thread.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE