Feet Protection While Hiking

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Depends on the climate. In the Lake District no problem but....in a hot, humid climate you'll have slimy green or grey fungus growing between your toes by the second day.

im pretty sure guys, that we are talking about in the uk.... i work in the jungle for a living and even I assumed we were talking about for uk use....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman the wool works in *any* climate. Even in the desert or the jungle :)
It thermo regulates and it's kind to the skin.

I blister easily, so I'm careful about what I put on my feet, but I really do agree with Widu13 :approve: We know it's best if the blister is left, but there are times that just to relieve that pain is wonderful (cue blissed out smilie:) ), and if done carefully then it lets you walk on and home. Moleskin patches can be very effective, but the new hydrowhatever plasters are brilliant, just make sure to use big enough ones.

I found that if it gets desperate and you're out walking here, find some sheeps wool on the fence or walls or heather, pick it clean and pad a light layer of that down inside your sock over the hotspot/blister and it'll ease the whole issue. It's not sterile though so don't use on broken skin. Really good on those little toe rubs. These days two pairs of wool or silk and wool and I have no problems so long as my boots fit properly.

cheers,
Toddy

When I commented on a warm wet climate I wasn't talking about wool. I was talking about leaving your footwear wet as you suggested. Wool is ok (it does wick the best) but you absolutely need to keep them as dry as possible. I have seen way to many people with trench-foot here.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
im pretty sure guys, that we are talking about in the uk.... i work in the jungle for a living and even I assumed we were talking about for uk use....

I grew up in and now live in the swamp for a living and I assume we're talking about people who travel to experience new places. I see more Brits here than almost anywhere I've ever seen outside England.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Also with modern well fitting boots you don't need 2 pairs of socks. The whole 2 sock idea dates back to the days of stiff heavy leather boots that didn't fit so well.

I find the two pairs still works well though. One fine and a thicker outer pair. It really does help stop any hotspots forming for me :)

cheers,
Toddy

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Mary would you be able to point the way to a good sock pattern for knitting and what type of wool should i get for the Lovely swmbo who might make me some wool socks for walking?:notworthy

I

IBrown

I find that the best socks for keeping my feet warm and dry are Sealskinz socks. They are waterproof and have a thermal liner.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mary would you be able to point the way to a good sock pattern for knitting and what type of wool should i get for the Lovely swmbo who might make me some wool socks for walking?:notworthy

:approve:
I can scan the ones I use for her....they're ancient and surely out of copyright by now, but Sally in Wales (Sally Pointer) does a beautifully neat pattern that's out on the web somewhere. I'll find it and link :)...found link
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/quick-chunky-socks

I generally use 4 ply, but I've an enormous cop of the stuff (four pairs so far and there's still loads on it) but the wools by Rowan worked well for me in the past.

This link looks good :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100g-100-Pure...rafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&hash=item519814ab88

and these folks will sell wool that will shrink felt to fit to make the most comfortable socks you'll ever wear. This cone is the same as mine.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1000gm-approx...rafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&hash=item3f08184329

I think if your missus hasn't knitted socks for you before though, I might be tempted to try the first link.

There are also the folks who sell to the craft community...
Texere
http://www.texere-yarns.co.uk/texereshop/Wool_Knitting_Yarns.html
heir blueface Leicester yarn in Herb and Olive greens are beautiful :)
http://www.texere-yarns.co.uk/texereshop/Wool_Knitting_Yarns.html

Wingham
http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/yrn_spun.php
I buy quite a lot of stuff from these folks, their website isn't quite as easy to work though.

and there's always New Lanark :)

atb,
M

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
This OP guy is a cut and paste fiend and does not join in in any discussion or reply. Not sure what he is up to

Do a Google search on "his" username and you'll find a similar pattern of activity on many extremely diverse fora. It's either a spambot (it's got a link to a Korean language learning programme as its homepage in its profile) or an example of what is known as "persona management" - where automatic tools are used to create what appears like a convincing online persona for a fake person, who can then be used for astroturfing, sock-puppeting, and general corporate or governmental shilling on the internet. Spambot seems most likely though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I stopped two of his threads, but the other three were very much on topic and have opened useful discussion.

I think it might be best if I remove and ban.
I'll write something to explain at the start of the three active threads.

cheers,
M

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I stopped two of his threads, but the other three were very much on topic and have opened useful discussion.

Yeah, that's what's so clever about it. My recurring nightmare about the day when the internet gains sentience and proceeds to hunt down the terrified remnants of humanity with endless linkspam, scam emails and dubious adverts just got one step closer to reality...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE