Feb foraging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's quite a lot beginning to show really: reedmace (Typha latifolia) is showing some new shoots with me but the tubers can be harvested all year anyway; common sorrel (Rumex acetosa); ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea), cleavers (Galium aparine), cow parsley (Anthriscus sylvestris - but only if you are 100% sure) ...

Reactions: TeeDee and Toddy

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Here's another. I noticed wood avens poking up through cracks in an alley. I've never tried the leaves, but I did once make a syrup out of the roots.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Penny wort, or navel wort, those thick round fleshy leaves in stone walls and banks are at their best right now.
I pop them in a mixed salad, or cheese sandwich.. they have a nice peppery taste. The smaller leaves are nicer.
Celandine are up, and apparently the tubers were once eaten. I haven't tried them myself. So can't comment on the taste of them.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Celandine are up, and apparently the tubers were once eaten.
I'm nurturing a small patch of these in my garden. You've reminded me to go check on them. My understanding is that, being in the buttercup/ ranunculacae family, the tubers contain the toxin ranunculin which is removed during cooking.
Edit: yep, they've appeared.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Careful, Lesser Celandine (Ranunculus ficaria) is related to the buttercup; Greater Celandine (Chelidonium majus) is considered too toxic to eat by most people.

From my Native Plants database:

Sc. NameCommon NameEdibilityMedicalConstituentsNotes
Ranunculus ficariaLesser Celandineroot can be eaten, leaves as salad or cooked as spinachointment for the treatment of haemorrhoids and piles; juice applied to warts; emollientsaponins, protoanemonin, anemonin, tannins, vitamin C
Chelidonium majusGreater Celandinepurgative, mild sedative, used to treat bronchitis, whooping cough and asthma, diuretic for treating the gall bladder and gall stones; latex used for warts, ringworm and skin tumoursisoquinoline alkaloids (allocryptopine, berberine, chelidonine, spareine)toxic, antimitotic and dangerous, latex produces blisters on healthy skin; possibly introduced, not closely related to lesser celandine

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Thanks Broch that's very informative. I'm not overly familiar with greater celandine, though it seems easily distinguishable from lesser celandine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE