FC to go?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Given the FC seemed vehemently opposed to wild camping, planted predominantly cash crop fast growing softwoods in military rows (yes I know they claim to have been different lately, but I've seen little sign), I look forward to private enterprise taking over.

I've never had problems getting camping permissions from private individuals, but the FC were a bunch of jobsworths. The government shouldn't be a landowner or farmer in my view - they should be focussed on needed services. These government funded quangos are a waste of resources.

Since our last govenrment has hocked us for a generation or two, I'd rather see this lot go than schools or hospitals

Red

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
red,
forestry is a business and pretty looking woodlands and camping rights is hardly their first consern especially when you see the amount of vandalism in woodlands. you should be greatfull that they allow access in their woodlands at all.
also maybe not to you but research and control over woodlands is a needed service.

pete

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Exactly peter. Its a business. Businesses should be run by businessmen, not job for life quangos. They make a better job of it.

And no, I should not be grateful to be allowed access to woods that my taxes paid for and that I, and other citizens own. I know the last givernment thought I should. Thats why I'm glad to see the back of them and the FC

Red

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
But if they are all sold off to private business, we wont own them(although dont see how government can sell off what we all own)so the chances of getting any use of them will be minimal,no one person or person's should own vast swathes of this land imho, it should be for everyone to enjoy,but not destroy.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
But if they are all sold off to private business, we wont own them(although dont see how government can sell off what we all own)so the chances of getting any use of them will be minimal,no one person or person's should own vast swathes of this land imho, it should be for everyone to enjoy,but not destroy.

I think you're working under the assumption that the woodlands would be sold off.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
But they have already removed all rights. You cant camp, you cant have a fire, you cant gather fuel etc.

I can't do the things I want now.

We are not only skint but bankrupt

What should we sell? Schools? Hospitals? Roads?

These are businesses run as commercial enterprises run for a profit. They can be sold as assets to pay off some of the enormous debt we are left carrying - or taxes can go up

Your call

Red

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
What Red said.
Why can't I use the woodland I paid for in the way I want to?Why are all decisions made by someone who doesn't even visit the woodlands?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
What Red said.
Why can't I use the woodland I paid for in the way I want to?Why are all decisions made by someone who doesn't even visit the woodlands?

many people would like to thrash dirt bikes and land rovers through woodland. would you want that? it would seriously damage the woodland but people still WANT to use it for this.
you cant cater for everything people want.

decision arn't made blindly. the goverment has advisors from the FC who work in the woodlands.

pete

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
many people would like to thrash dirt bikes and land rovers through woodland. would you want that? it would seriously damage the woodland but people still WANT to use it for this.
you cant cater for everything people want.

decision arn't made blindly. the goverment has advisors from the FC who work in the woodlands.
Thrashing bikes and quads through the woodland isn't as bad as it's made out to be.Why should woodland only be available to those who want to WALK through it and look at it?Don't we all have an equal right to enjoy our own resources?Before you say that quads and bikes ruin other peoples enjoyment,the prevention of their use ruins the owners enjoyment too

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Everyone has a good old whinge about cuts. But no-one seems to say where they think the eye wateringly vast sums of money should come from to pay for the crushingly huge debt the last government saddled us with.

What would you cut - or would you increase taxes? We don't have a choice, Gordon Brown saddled this country with more debt in real terms than it has ever known in recorded history.

Rather than having a bleat about the commercial business that is the forestry commission, why not make some suggestions to raise the tens of thousands of pounds of your money that he spent. Because that is the reality. He borrowed huge amounts of money from us all with no plans to repay it. Of course things have to be sold off. A useless idiot ran the economy for a decade and nearly ruined us all.

Now we have to pay back all that money.

So yes, things we want have to be sold. But given we are broke because we are sadled with vast debt by GB, get over it. Your kids are going to be repaying that debt let alone you

Red

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Heyho ,
If that was true BR we'd be the only country in the **** . We're not . We've had a Tory Government since 1979 and during that time have sold off all of our nationally owned industries . We are going to have to make drastic changes and it will be hard , but to blame it all on one man is ludicrous .
Cheers ,Trev .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, check the national debt when he started and when he finished. The delta is his responsibility. The amount of national debt when he started is a miniscule fraction of what he left. How can that not be his fault? The enormous housing bubble, the sub prime fiasco, the change in fiscal authority...they all happened on his watch. How can it not be his responsibility?

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Heyho ,
Check the same factors in other countries , add a War . Blaming one man for all that . Actually I don't know why I'm defending him , "they" are all twats . Do you really think GB caused all of what is going on .
Cheers ,Trev .

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
How can it not be his responsibility?

Didn't you hear BR? Maggie caused Brown's financial stupidity, destroyed union-mob-controlled industries already in trouble before she came to power, invented cholera in order to kill poor people and smashes badgers with hammers for fun. It's true because the highly unbiased BBC said so. Financial surplus at the end of the Major govenment? Lies, Tory lies!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think he and Blair ruined this country - with their stupid financial policies - that cost over 10,000 for every man woman and child in this country to bail out the banks, with their illegal war, with encouraging people to think houses could keep going up in value by more than people earned, by driving the country into debt in massive ways.

Yes, they were in charge, they made the decisions that led to the war, to the UK banks melting down.

So yes, they were responsible.

Red

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
I think he and Blair ruined this country - with their stupid financial policies - that cost over 10,000 for every man woman and child in this country to bail out the banks, with their illegal war, with encouraging people to think houses could keep going up in value by more than people earned, by driving the country into debt in massive ways.

Yes, they were in charge, they made the decisions that led to the war, to the UK banks melting down.

So yes, they were responsible.

Red
Bearing in mind that I am politically impervious , what Government wouldn't have have gone to war . Are you still so party minded that you think the faces at the front are the people who make the decisions ?
Cheers , Trev .

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Financial surplus at the end of the Major govenment? Lies, Tory lies!

It's got to be easier to have surplus when you don't spend any money on infrastructure. Scotland was a mess at the end of the Thatcher/ Major years. It looks better now.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now all you have to do is pay for it Locum. Its very easy to spend money you don't have - but rarely wise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE