FC to go?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I think the woodlands will probably come under the local councils if the FC go.Possibly we'll get a bit more access to them,or,they may declare them as open access in the same way Scotland has it.

EdS

think you will find that is the the Gov decided to ditch the FC it will be sold off and privatised -- as with the other assets that went in the 80's.

Most likely outcome will be ownership by various venture capitalist and less access unless you pay.

Not a cat in hells chance of Local Authorities taking over - they are selling of land as it is, to raise some money.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
think you will find that is the the Gov decided to ditch the FC it will be sold off and privatised -- as with the other assets that went in the 80's.

Most likely outcome will be ownership by various venture capitalist and less access unless you pay.

Not a cat in hells chance of Local Authorities taking over - they are selling of land as it is, to raise some money.

That's what I think would most likely happen and I can't see it being a good thing! More land for those with money to develop and less chance of enjoying it for the rest of us 8(

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
DEFRA seems to be taking the biggest hit, CONDEM not showing much commitment to the environment then?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Not to put too fine a point on it, but we're currently borrowing £60 Billion per annum to service existing government borrowing. If we don't get borrowing under control - see Greece and Ireland - we'll have to pay 2-4times higher interest rate - or even more - to maintain government borrowing. So that £60 billion could turn into £200billion BEFORE the government begins to fund Social Services/the Forces/NHS etc etc. Cuts are gonna be steep, people!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
There are extensive cuts north of the border too. They are looking for a reduction of 10% of the work force, mostly by natural wastage, but if that doesn't work out as enough redundancies will be the next step. Several sections of the FC are already gone. The FC no longer harvests, this is done by contract. The roads section is being phased out, and will be replaced by contracts. Forestry Maintenance is going the same way very soon, and yes it's being farmed out on contracts. Recreation may well soon go as well. So basically in a few years all the FC work may well end up being done privately. The government saves a few bob on wages etc. However the companies getting the work will be aiming to make a profit so who will end up paying on the long run? You and I. Lets remember how well the selling off of other State run elements have turned out over the years since privatising.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Not to put too fine a point on it, but we're currently borrowing £60 Billion per annum to service existing government borrowing. If we don't get borrowing under control - see Greece and Ireland - we'll have to pay 2-4times higher interest rate - or even more - to maintain government borrowing. So that £60 billion could turn into £200billion BEFORE the government begins to fund Social Services/the Forces/NHS etc etc. Cuts are gonna be steep, people!

I hate to be a pessimist but I was saying to my wife today it could be time to move to Canada in the near future. Things aren't looking too good the way I see it...

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I think the woodlands will probably come under the local councils if the FC go.Possibly we'll get a bit more access to them,or,they may declare them as open access in the same way Scotland has it.

Just pray some moron doesn't sue the Council because a tree limb landed on thier head! Could turn into a H&S disaster for all woodland and open spaces if it's not managed properly buy cost cutting. There's a RSPB site nearby and they had to put up fences in one area of the site to stop people casually venturing in and claiming for there kids 'Possible' stupid accidents. The fence was vandalised in a few weeks to gain access but they have to be seen to be doing something.

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Yup, that's how I see it also.
Not quite so sure why some people are rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of the Forestry Commission going cos I don't see it as a good sign.

The remaining family silver will soon be flogged off.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Yup, that's how I see it also.
Not quite so sure why some people are rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of the Forestry Commission going cos I don't see it as a good sign.

The remaining family silver will soon be flogged off.
I can't see it being a good thing at all.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
the forestry commission going is definitely bad. they have control over felling licences so basically have the say to whether a woodland gets cut down for whatever reason. no more woodland grants will be handed out.
they also give free advice and do lots of research.

what exactly is wrong with the FC british red, sapper1?

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE