Favorite Author

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whos your favorite Bushcraft/woodcraft Author

• Total voters

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
No, but I did have it out of the library for so long when I was younger that they sent me a letter asking me not to renew it again, but to return it.
I assume it's the same book, was actually called "Bushcraft" and if I remember correctly was a sort of purple colour.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Bit of a hard one Tomtom, Mors and Graves' books together are all you will ever need IMO - but Ray has readen more books than both put together and so is probably more read.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
haha i wondered weather or not to give multipul choices.. but thought i would make you choose!! :)

then i realised i wasnt sure who mine was and had much the same toss up as tony.. ray introduced me to it all or at least put a name one it for me but i get most knolage and enjoyment from Mors.. (but i still have some to read)

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I've only read Ray, Lofty and Mcmanners, but of the 3, Ray is the best. Hugh is a little more 'camping' oriented and Lofty is more of survival. So my vote goes for Ray, though I would like to read Mors' and Graves' books one day. :wave:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have had mcmanners for six years, out of my school libuary.. after a few years they told me i really had to give it back now, i said i had lost it and they said ok.. no problem you have to pay for half of it as schools get cheap books.. so i did i then bought sevela other books from the "schools half price book shop" :naughty: :nana: by the time i left school i was not allowed to take out books on loan anymore! :roll:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
tomtom said:
i have had mcmanners for six years, out of my school libuary.. after a few years they told me i really had to give it back now, i said i had lost it and they said ok.. no problem you have to pay for half of it as schools get cheap books.. so i did i then bought sevela other books from the "schools half price book shop" :naughty: :nana: by the time i left school i was not allowed to take out books on loan anymore! :roll:
Haha, smart way of getting cheap books. :wave:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I think my favourite bushcraft book is "Participating in nature" by Tom Elpel. Not the best how too guide, that'd have to be Mors.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
tomtom said:

A really responsible library user then? Not something I'd boast about.

Burnt Ash

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
A tough one indeed!

I voted for Ray, because his books are what got me started on this new way of living and thinking. I have books by most of those listed, particular favourites being Kephart, Kochanski & Nesmuk, but all have something to offer. Although I'm not sure I forgive Lofty for bringing Lenny Henry back from the Amazon :eek:):

Dave

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I like swedish authors like Lars Fält, Harry Sepp and Stefan Källman and Lars Monsen is also a very good author but his books are not that much bushcraft but still very good.
I like the books by these authors mostly because they write about bushcraft here in the nordic countries.

A pretty fun thing is that if you read Lars Fält books and RM ands Mors you can see pictures that are identical. It might be that there once was club called "International Network of Civilian Master Survival Instructors" and I think both Mors and Lars was members there (I think Lars started it, but are not sure) so they have probably learned a lot from each other.

jakunen

Native
I couldn't decide so ended up tossing a coin. I'd have added good 'ol Brummie Stokes.

Although none of these guys got me into 'bushcraft', being a country lad, then serving, and then getting told about this place by Womble. I got my books either out of interest or because they had a good rep on here.
Until about 8 months ago I'd only heard of Brummie, Lofty and RM and hadn't read anything they'd done and only started watching 'Lost in the Woods' by chance and the same with RM.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Where's old Eddie McGee in all this book stuff. Read all Uncle Rays stuff but was reading Grandpa Eddie from 88 on. His books are not that different from Rays bit more military, look at Eddies and Rays all got the same stuff.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Not that I'd be voting for it but arguably Baden Powell's "Scouting for Boys" has a place in the history of these things. I know that there are at least two or three more books by contemporaries, even predecessors of "nessmuk" Sears that should be in the list but I'm not well read enough to remember their names.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE