Faux Fivers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’ve just had a five pound note rejected by a charity shop. I’m on holiday in Norfolk.
They did a check and said it was “dodgy”. Apparently there are so many forgeries in circulation that some shops and pubs won’t take them.

I’ll take it into a bank when I’m home next week and let them check. It feels like the right texture and looks OK to me.

I just wondered whether others knew; I certainly didn’t but then I use my phone to pay most of the time.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We've to change our notes to come south. Scottish bank notes are often refused, or at least scrutinised beyond courtesy and reason. The folks from Northern Ireland say the same thing.

• Sad
Reactions: Ystranc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is legal tender, but try it in an southern English supermarket, or reenactor's fayre....or pub local thereof.

It's easier to run around making sure we have English notes :sigh:

• Sad
Reactions: Ystranc

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Having worked on various checkouts in my time in England you don't get any Scottish note training and hardly ever see a Scottish note so it seems reasonable to not accept them. After all, it's hard enough to tell if a common fiver is real or fake. Even BoE 50s were treated with suspicion.

I've not seen a placky fake yet, I have a few fivers torn in half and taped together - probably done by a muppet who thought you can't tear a modern note.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We can well understand the individual who has to say that they can't accept the notes. It's not their fault, it's their training and the lack of acceptance that our money is every bit as valid in payment as an English banknote is.

Just the way it goes. We make sure before we cross the border that we've changed enough notes to suit though.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I did a show a while back at the Weald & Downland in Sussex, a gentleman wanted to buy a couple of spoons off of me but said he only had Scottish Bank notes with him and that other people at the show had refused him, i gladly took his money lol, seriously i knew it was as much legal tender down here as an English fiver would be in Glasgow or Belfast, i suppose the travelling i did for work before i became self employed also helped as i was dealing with different currencies on a weekly basis and had educated myself, i would have taken US Dollars if that was all they had too, as i would have used them when i went to see family stateside and it really is not that difficult to work out the exchange rate.

Reactions: Ystranc and Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’d like to know what the checks for forgeries are. I know that some of them are supposed to be secret.

I wonder how many I’ve inadvertently passed on.

One of the advantages of phone payments.

Reactions: Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There was a massive influx of forged Scottish notes in England a few months back. Even the banks were refusing them until they had trained up the staff. The fakers did well down here due to the relative unfamiliarity with them. It’s seems to have been cleared up now though and it’s business as usual. But it may have left a residual skittishness with people in accepting them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE