Fatwood?

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Quick heads up, just went in Poundland and they have bags of easy light kindling. It say it's from Norwich and you just light a corner of a piece to light the fire .....sounds like Fatwood. Just tried some and it melts some sort of resin and then catches quite easily :)
Very little pine around here unfortunately so can't gather it naturally :(

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Is this the one?

2347.jpg

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
No it's called "Firepower instant light kindling". It's a lot more yellowish like fatwood which is why I got it. It came from the Bretton, Peterborough one. Wisbech never had it in on Monday? Apparently new ranges of stuff coming out on Sunday so they said

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ah OK, that was the only one showing on their website.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Went into the Bretton one today and someone's had away with the lot! So came out with 5 other things I didn't want, and some tictacs.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
We have a forest full of it at Rendlesham.... :)

Fat woods easy to tell... smell, feel, look... some time even weight, and sound when taped

Every tried just soaking soft wood in Veg Oil.... works just as well..

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Before we called it fatwood up here we knew it as greasy-roots. Working in forestry we'd collect all the star shaped remenants of rotted pine roots. Some got ploughed up others we'd dig/pull out of the ground. Had to watch how you usex them on the fire at home though as they could easily melt the grate in the hearth. But boy did they get the fire going quick on a cold day.
You can also knock the little hard branch nubs out of rotted pine logs, they too have resin impregnated into them. Ray Mears talked about them in one of his programs and how the Native Americans used to leave a pile at known fire sites along the trail for future use. Which was a nice practice, same as the Norwegians leaving matches protruding from the box in the mountain huts so folk with frozen fingers can get a fire going.

User3326

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Another source of fat wood is the remnants of broken branches at the bottom of living pine tree's. When the branch snapped the tree pumped loads of pitch to seal it off. If you get a saw and cut the remaining bit of branch off, say 3/4 inch from the truck, it will be solid pine pith. You usually get around 2-3 inches of good fatwood. Doesn't harm the tree as its already sealed off.

ATB

Last edited:

User3326

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
UK
No tree's........ A bushcrafter with no tree's....... Like a whittler with no knife :p
Ok, You can ignore that then. Might be of use to you, or someone else doing a search, at a later date.

woodpoet

Mar 16, 2012
Walthamstow
Hi went and bought a bag. not fatwood but it does light with a lighter quite quickly. has some sort of oil drips out as it burns. tried to scrape shavings off it and use a spark but didn't light for me like fatwood does.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Before we called it fatwood up here we knew it as greasy-roots. .

I just went over to my Mrs and said.." Goatboy says you got fatwood in your hair!"........ WHAT? she replied....so i showed her...she then read your post and i got me a :nutkick:

I think i may be sleeping on the sofa with the Dog tonight....:lmao::rofl:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I just went over to my Mrs and said.." Goatboy says you got fatwood in your hair!"........ WHAT? she replied....so i showed her...she then read your post and i got me a :nutkick:

I think i may be sleeping on the sofa with the Dog tonight....:lmao::rofl:

:D Don't drag me into marital disputes. I get into enough.trouble on my own. Though that's maybe why I.prefered the couch with the.dog.in one relationship I.was in.
I'm sure I've heard it called candlewood in your part of the country, am I imagining that or do you?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
lots of fatwood here (in the woods), this shows what happens when a pine tree is damaged, see the resin oozing out of the wood
3f37065b-7587-495b-a25f-4f643059037b.jpg

the orange part in centre of pic beow is the fatwood, super flammable
263faeca-b16e-416d-a0d7-5c117b326dc9.jpg

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Just dug up an old root I accidentally buried a few weeks ago and chopped it up, ~10 kg of fatwood is now sitting in a large box in my living room :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE