Fat men can't hunt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thackstonii

Jan 16, 2007
Cambridge
Any body see the above last night? (BBC3 23:25ish) a bunch of obese UK folks get put on a stone age diet by living with a clan of bush people. It was great to see the bushpeople but the Big Brother historonics among the contestants was a bit of a drag.

I think the focus on the bushman lifestyle gives a bit more depth on what its really like in the stone age - which you don't get on, say, a Ray Mears programme where the focus is on the bushman technology.

Mark

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Yeah, I watched it. A damn site more interesting than Big Brother, et al. That 'Lazy Girl' (Elder christened her, not me) from Liverpool got right up my nose. There was a part where the Elder was watching her and then just walked off. Although he wasn't shaking his head, I could imagine him doing so.

Damn selfish and ungrateful. How many of us would have loved the chance to learn from the locals? I'm might even try to put on some weight to try and con someone to pick me to do another series.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Frustrating to watch that one: I certainly hope that one or two of them wake up and realise what a fabulous, once in a lifetime opportunity they are being given, if not to lose weight - then to experience the life of the bushman and appreciate food in a different way.

As for the 'contestants' squeamishness and general prissy histrionics - my dear ol' mum says - "if they won't eat it, they aren't hungry enough".

thackstonii said:
I think the focus on the bushman lifestyle gives a bit more depth on what its really like in the stone age - which you don't get on, say, a Ray Mears programme where the focus is on the bushman technology.

Mark

Hi there,

I think it would be good for you to read this
The Dobe Ju/'Loansi (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology) (Paperback)
by Richard B. Lee (Author)

I have a MA Hon's in social anthropology and studied the Kung San (paper study) as part of a cross cultural comparative study into hunter gatherers. I would not agree with stone age as it has taken them up to this day and age to develop their skills! But I get your drift!

The current thinking is that hunter gatherers in all environments except the innuit have a relatively relaxed lifestyle as they have such an initimate knowledge of their environment they only need to spend a short time hunting and gathering to attain their calorific needs however the margin for survival is very narrow as environmental influences such as dry spells etc have a huge impact on any resources available... anyway it is a remarkable book if you get the opportunity to read it.

Or try Laurence Vanderpost...

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Definately worth watching. To watch the San bush people in their own environ, doing what they do, is truely magical. Ok, so we have put up with a group of 'overly loud brits', who ,to be fair, are trying to loose weight.
I'm sure alot of what we see is the old story of TV producers assuming we actually enjoy watching people bitch and argue and generally embarass themselves, and thus cut the show to suit.
If they could just show it how it is, we'd enjoy it alot more. Yes, these people are going to be ratty etc. Afterall, they've just been put in an environment that is totally alien to them and their bodies are undergoing major stresses and udjustment.
But for the chance to watch how the San actually live and Hunt, it is worth putting up with the BBC's strange notions of entertainment.
Baggins

B

bushyboo

sounds good boys i will be watching tonight
thanks for the heads up

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This seems a triffic PC excuse to make fun of lazy fat people and ultra conservative natives

(both of whom, Im sure, deserve it)

But fun, and certainly different.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
thackstonii said:

Mark

They aren't in the Stone Age.

thackstonii

Jan 16, 2007
Cambridge
nobby said:
They aren't in the Stone Age.

I think that there is a fairly robust argument that they are in the stone age... okay they have adopted some metal working for their arrow heads but from what little I know they haven't massively changed - they are still hunter gathers.

Are you saying that there is something bad about being in the stone age? or are you saying that the stone age is over?

merlin

Dec 27, 2006
south west wales
yet another example of the people with the worst attitude beeing given special treatment rather than a dam good talking to. Truly a sign of how we are completely out of control as a species, these people are the extreem but 99% of us could not cope withe the lifestyle of any hunter gatherer, we consume without need and then find someone to blame when it all goes wrong!!!!!!!!!
A better understanding of the world around us is what is needed.
Sorry for the rant but gets on my T**t to see people not appreciating what they are seeing and dooing.
good to laugh at fat people though.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
redcollective said:
Frustrating to watch that one: I certainly hope that one or two of them wake up and realise what a fabulous, once in a lifetime opportunity they are being given, if not to lose weight - then to experience the life of the bushman and appreciate food in a different way.

As for the 'contestants' squeamishness and general prissy histrionics - my dear ol' mum says - "if they won't eat it, they aren't hungry enough".

What you have to remember is that these people are in the programme because they want to be on TV - not because they want to gain anything 'spritually' or 'physically'.

'Lard ar*es wanted for TELEVISION PROGRAMME to learn valuable skills from native people '

I can imagine which bit of the advert they responded to.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Watching this programme actually made me quite embarassed - being invited into someone else's house (village or whatever) and behaving like that is no excuse. I can say that I'm not surprised that all these people are overweight and have problems, based upon their attitude in this programme. These people are living in abject denial, and if this doesn't shake their attitude then they won't be around much longer..

David Morgan

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2004
Buckinghamshire
"Fat men can't hunt"... there's a title asking to be spoonerised :D

But to my point... my understanding is that 'stone age', 'iron age' etc are relative terms used to refer to the state of technological development of particular groups or regions rather that absolute periods of time, so 'British iron age' does not refer to the same time period as 'middle eastern iron age' and the 'Chinese bronze age' did not start and end at the same time as the 'Greek bronze age'... so its possible for one society to be in the/its computer age and another coexisting society to be in the/its stone age... if that makes sense?

merlin

Dec 27, 2006
south west wales
stone age or any other age people still have the problem of individuals with no respect, how would people in the stone age have dealt with this problem, we concentrate on the tools and technology of an age but what about the social problems of that age????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE