FARID Mule in CPM-Rex 121

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Postie delivered my Farid Mule in CPM REX121 this morning. I had planned to use Arizona Desert Ironwood for the scales but I didn't because:

1. I couldn't find the ADI
2. It's only a small knife and the ADI scales were a good size (wherever they are) so they'll be saved for something bigger.

Instead I used some stabilised Amboyna burl (I think?) My wood supply is a little disorganised :surrender:

CPM REX-121 CHEMICAL COMPOSITION
Carbon 3.40 %
Chromium 4.00 %
Vanadium 9.50 %
Tungsten 10.00 %
Cobalt 9.00 %
Molybdenum 5.00 %

So here it is. A bit of a rough and ready job as it is a mule, afterall.

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

In hand you can see it's not the huge chopper it might seem to be above:

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

She's a stout girl:

IMG_4413.jpg

Feels nice in the hand. The thick spine provides a naturally rest for thumb during controlled, light cuts. Balance point is at the first rivet.

I'm looking forward to giving this unusual steel a workout. Will try and get a sheath done in the next few days. This one probably isn't going to be the easiest for field sharpening ;)

Thanks to Farid for the opportunity to try this material.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
can you give us(those whom dont know their steels too well) a little info about the steel- what it is believed to be ? and how does it preform ?

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
can you give us(those whom dont know their steels too well) a little info about the steel- what it is believed to be ? and how does it preform ?

It is a high alloy, high speed tool steel.

It is not a conventional knife steel, being aimed at industrial application. It excels in edge-holding and abrasion resistance but there will compromises (might be chip-prone and will be hard to sharpen).

Crucible have a lot of info on their site, including this comparison:

"Wear resistance (depends on application and hardness) approximately 50%-100% better than T15, CPM Rex 76, or CPM 10V.

Toughness (depending on heat treatment) approximately comparable to CPM 15V, CPM Rex 76 at maximum hardness, or conventional T15.

Red hardness higher than CPM Rex 76. Note that CPM Rex 121 can retain a room temperature hardness of HRC 60 even after tempering at 1200F (650 C)"

It will be interesting to see how it performs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE