FAO Isuzu Trooper Owners (Ogri the trog?) or 4x4 experts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

buffalobill

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2005
Wales
I'm going to look at a 1996 Isuzu Trooper 3.1 TD Duty SWB tomorrow.

It only has 79k on the clock and has just had a new turbo fittted (is this anything to worry about?).

What I would like to know are the things to look out for that may catch up with a non-mechanical person such as myself in the future!

It will mainly be used for launching/retrieving my boat as well as bushcraft use (obviously :D )

I hear it is fairly bullet-proof and the 3.1 version is one of the better ones but I'd like the opionion of people in the know on here.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sounds like an underseal job is on the cards, apart from that, I'd say "Good Choice".
Back in the summer our Trooper (3.1 Duty LWB) had an alternator problem, which was a little pricey to get fixed, but in mitigation, last month it broke through the 200K miles barrier :cool: and still runs as sweet as a nut. They are fantastic off-road with the right tyres and you should see reasonable mpg from it for many years to come (we get around 32 - 35 depending on the journey).

Have a good look at the chassis around the rear and like all Troopers you'll think your being chased by the police when the turbo whistles :cool:

ATB

Ogri the trog

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
check the dipstick for any white sludge and the underside of the oil filler cap this means head trouble.also lift off the oil filler cap when engines running any thing blowing out could be crankcase pressure probs which could be worn bores or a blocked breather pipe. the isuzu wouldnt be in clements end in the forest of dean by any chance theres been a white swb for £1700 ish for a while now.check wheel arches for rust.the 3.1td is a powerful reliable engine i nearly shoehorned one into a landrover 90 i used to own.you can pick up a non mot one for £500 on evilbay.hope this helps.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
i have an auto 3.1, i use it for work, towing trailers with plant and loose goods, it never gives in EVER, the fuel consumption is in the low 20's but it is an auto and we dont spare the horses!

if it fits in the back with the seats down and our heads bowed, we dont care if the doors are shut!
ITS IN AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

she wears general grabbers and rarely needs the four wheel drive engaging, they love tough terrain and articulate very well, i dont think they are upto land rover standard, but for the cost, comfort and reliability they are tough to beat, one word of caution the power steering pipe just on the right under the bonnet leading down just infront of the radiator has a tendencie to spring leaks after about ten years, around the £80 mark plus fitting unless you know someone on hoses.

top bit of steam.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
As with all turbos, make sure the engine is warmed up before giving it real stick, and when you stop, let it tick over for a few seconds to let the oil circulate out of the turbo bearings. Failure to look after the turbo, and changing the oil regularily, is thr most common cause of premature turbo failure. It;s the bearings that go, and on many cars, it is the engine oil that is used to lube them.

buffalobill

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2005
Wales
Cheers for the advice all :You_Rock_

It's not from near the forest moocher, its based in Leamington Spa.

I'll let you all know how I get on. Thanks again.

buffalobill

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2005
Wales
Ended up buying the Trooper yesterday. Did all the usual checks plus I looked into the advice you gave me. For it's age its in excellent condition, just has a few marks with surface rust and the seal on the windscreen could do with replacing. Other than that it's a superb runner and I'm well chuffed :D

I worked out I did just over 25 mpg on the way home, but that was with giving the engine a bit of a test, especially up hills - well impressed with the torque!.

...and I now know what you mean about being chased by police with the turbo Ogri :lmao:

Cheers again for the advice - here's a pic:

trooperhf4.jpg

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
DON'T DO IT... :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

I have been there, done it, and will NEVER go back.

Seriously, if you are looking for a 4X4 buy a Land Rover. :) :) :)

I have had a Shogun and a Trooper and if you like repair bills that you may need to re-mortgage your house for then go ahead. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

"Bullet proof", they are definatly NOT, I had a head gasket go on my Troopper and it cost me £2500 for the parts to repair it, good job I done the work myself, I dread to think what the labour charges would be. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

And as for rust, well lets not go there, let just say that my trooper looked like a set of lace curtains when I sold it and it was only 8 years old. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope this helps :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE