Fantastic little retro pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've always fancied a Frost River Geologist pack but have always baulked at the price. I saw these on Varusteleka and thought I'd give them a go.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/prod...60-backpack-w-o-suspenders-brown-surplus/6173
I ordered two and they sent one canvas and one linen one. Both had little, if any use. The canvas is a nice mid weight fabric, about right for a pack this size. The linen one is lighter weight.
I used the existing D rings and fitted some nice leather straps to turn them into nice little daysacks. At £4.39 each they are a steal. (if you're not crafty they have some with webbing straps for £6.09).
The guys in the pics on the website must be quite small as the packs look quite large on them, they are around 20 litres like the description says.
I think I might be addicted to Varusteleka!
To be clear, I'm not suggesting these are better quality, or that Frost River stuff is over priced. They are just a nice little pack.

Reactions: Bishop and Billy-o

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nice :)
Coat of greenland wax and it's sorted.

Looks very 'bushcrafty', doesn't it ?

M
I just popped them in the washing machine with some nikwax cotton proof but I may well wax one for wet weather use.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't tried the cotton proof. How do you find it holds up ? We used to just give stuff like those packs a blooming good spray with fabsil and it seemed to last for a bit, then the base and creased leaked and let in. Dry bags are brilliant for stuffing kit inside though :)

M

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I haven't tried the cotton proof. How do you find it holds up ? We used to just give stuff like those packs a blooming good spray with fabsil and it seemed to last for a bit, then the base and creased leaked and let in. Dry bags are brilliant for stuffing kit inside though :)

M
It was a bit of an experiment really, it's only been subjected to a little light drizzle and that beaded up well.
I suspect the canvas one will hold up better as it's a tighter weave and heavier fabric. The linen version is quite a coarse thread. That one may become my "about town" pack.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I often paint the inside of canvas things with a 1:3 (-ish) solution of bathroom silicone sealant and white spirit. Doesn't seem to peel off anytime soon.

Aquaseal is good too. Very flexible. Use the stuff for wetsuits for small fixes, and the stuff for buildings for treating groundsheets, tents etc.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
That's a very fine looking little pack! Varusteleka is a great site and the service - all the way from Finland - is exemplary; definitely a worthy addiction!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE