Fancy a Knitting Project?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
I've been reading a book about the English Civil War that contains several references to "Monmouth Caps" as worn by the common soldier. Apparently they were felted and very warm.

I've just found some information and a pattern. It doesn't tell you about felting, which is easy to do in a washing machine, but causes shrinkage (can't establish how much) so felting such a cap would be a bit hit or miss. I suppose you could always give/sell the ones that don't fit to people with the matching heads.
:present: :hatscarf:

Information and Pattern - http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/jennifer/Monmouth.htm

A picture of the cap - http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/small/item/GTJ01788/

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Interesting bit of historical info for my local area there Lightfoot. Thank you. I might have to get one now. I'll tell, sorry, ask SWMBO to break out the knitting gear...

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Hi Harvestman

Is SWMBO going to make it or teach you how to make it?

I haven't knitted anything since I was 7. I started on a scarf but got bored so it became a vest for my Action Man. Be good to learn though, and something to do whilst sitting around the fire. Can just picture a bunch of bushcrafters on a moot, knitting.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi Harvestman

Is SWMBO going to make it or teach you how to make it?

She can knit it. She's having enough trouble teaching me how to sew. Turns out she's heard of a Monmouth Cap before, and reckons it is easy to make.

As a geographical aside, the northernmost bit of the county of monmouthshire is of a similar shape to these hats, if you look at it on a map, and is known as Monmouth Cap. I wonder if there is a connection.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for the link to the pattern as it's the one the wife wanted to use to make me a Monmouth from. It all started off 2 years back when we saw it in the museum and I started badgering her to make me one.

With my traditionally subtlety I got her the right sort of needles and plenty of what I think is the perfect wool for making a copy, super chunky organic coloured Ryeland from a outfit in Ceredigion. I then helped her turn a nostpinne (I think its called) from a bit of beech to wind the wool onto to make balls.

nostepinne.jpg

Then we got distracted.

Anyroad over the last week she has knitted a couple of beenies for the kids to get her hand back in and last night actually broke the band on a skein of wool and wound the balls, ready to go.

I've asked (read grovelled) to her to make it as big as she can so I can felt it and waterproof it with lanolin as per Toddys method.

Knitting is something I am incapable of and I've promised to make her a linen shirt as a thank you.

Stuart Peachey / Robert Morris at Stuart Press do a fascinating pamphlet "Monmouths and Monteros" which convincingly argues that the Monmouth caps refered to in the 17th C had wide brims and the cap at Monmouth isn't what they would have called a Monmouth cap back in the day, but was in use.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi All,
Herself has just finished the copy of the Monmouth cap

http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/small/item/GTJ01788/

monmouthcap01.jpg

and I am very pleased with it indeed,:-{D) I asked her to make it bigger and omit the button and loop which she did, and a good job as if she had followed the pattern slavishly it would have sat on top like a skull cap! It's very thick and warm and used up 140 gms of organic super chunky coloured Ryeland wool.

OK, it's just a glorified benny hat but I love it!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
iam geting the missus to make me one after shes finished the teddys shes kniting for xmas presents that looks like a job well done tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh I've been told to say that if you use the pattern mentioned at the start of the thread to make one big enough for my fat head (62 NATO or about 7 3/4 UK) she cast on 80 not 60.

Cheers!

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE