Family walk in the Beacons

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
We've wanted to do this for years, now the kids are 7 and 8 - almost 8 and 9, we decided, if they've done the Cobbler and Cairngorm, Pen y Fan should be easy....

We chose a hot day, 8 1/2 miles and 760m of ascent, but we had chocolate and lots to drink - the kids had their own 2 litre bladders and a wind top to carry whilst I fed them often. The chocolate melted in my rucksack but got eaten. The dogs weren't happy about being on the lead a lot but they got a run early on. My dogs are trained on deer and mountain sheep seem to be things they just want to run up and smell?......

Anyway:

My favourite picture of the day:

Says it all really:

Footsore and weary:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great pics and report Dougster, nice to see everyone looking so happy. Good that the little'uns carried their own water too. (I had a pack for my JRT and he carried his own water if I thought it'd be in short supply on a walk.)

Cheers for posting.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
A great day for a walk, Last time I did it the mist came down and it went a bit chilly, and that was September in Wales.

Another great walk not far from there is Black Mountain by the Dan-Yr-Ogof caves

aaj1vm.png
[/IMG]

Starting by the Shire horse centre and head North West then cut across to 826 217 and the view all round is spectacular :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That a fine looking pair of happy walking companions Rich.

(The kids look okay as well)

Adore the setter!

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Stoo, I've done that walk and my son and I are planning and overnighter there soon. I grew up in Brecon and know the area pretty well, i lived up in the Black Mountains above Hay on Wye for two years with no mains electricity. Something I've aspired to since.

Red you are welcome to Dylan, and if you ever get him to agree with what you want him to do well done, he seems to never want what I want. Bryn, the Bavarian/Patterdale cross is the most loyal thing I've ever known but he is a killer when the chance arises. That said, if a rabbit is within 50 yards of my son with a .22, so is he.

Thanks for the comments, this batch of photos shows the centre of my world quite well.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks like some real good quality time was spent with the family Rich. Thanks for sharing it with us.

The pic of the two dogs sat down is a real cracker :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great stuff Richard and I'm blessed to see a lot of those views from my bedroom, family and life are good at times, well done to all of you.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Thanks all. Just tucked them up in bed ready for back to school tomorrow to be asked when we're doing our next mountain.....

He also wants to plan our Scottish trek in the Cairngorms.

Chuffed to bits.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Richard, the pics and report of the "centre of your world" Put a smile on my face, nice one fella.

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE