Family/4 man tent help please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
HI everyone, its time to get the kids out in the woods, but my tarp is not big enough, please can I have some advice. I would like to buy a 4 man / family tent, I would be greatful from people experience as what would be a good tent/ brand to buy I was after something similar to the Skandia Daytona XXL type style. I have a budget of circa £100, not sure if this is realistic though. would be good to get something which didn't fall apart after a few weeks.

help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Bear in mind a 4 birth tent generally will sleep 2 comfortably with gear, 3 at a push and be crowded with 4. I'd go for 6 man minimum.

Outwell, vango and Coleman are good brands.

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Have you looked at Snozz's Frisport lavvu? I know it's over your initial budget but thought i'd mention it in case you hadn't considered it :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Don't just use a tent. If the weather's not so good a tarp as an addition to the tent gives you a lot more living space when you're not actually sleeping.

The people who have told you that you need at least a six-man tent for a family of four know exactly what they're talking about. :)

Depending on the brand, quality, where and when you get it, and even the colour you can find pretty big tents for fairly modest prices, although a hundred quid is very modest for a new tent of that sort of size. It would most likely be Chinese, but having said that I have a few cheap Chinese tents that have lasted many years with good care and I like and use them a lot. The weather we've been having in the UK lately probably means it's a buyer's market in family-sized tents for the forseeable future so there's a silver cloud in every lining. Or something.

Good luck!

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
A £100 budget is a bit lean for a good tent. It might be better to look for something second hand. The most popular tent and one of the most highly regarded weekend family tents would seem to be the Vango Icarus 500. It is a five man tent which to my mind the the minimum size you should go for if you have two adults and two kids to cater for. Full hight tents are a boon when the weather is lousy and you are stuck in side them for hours on end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE