False Acacia tree

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Eyup all

The recent high winds have brought down some decent sized branches of a False Acacia tree at work, and have saved some logs for bushcrafty uses.

It seems to have a nice coloured heart wood and doesnt seem too hard.

Does anyone know if this is a decent firewood? Is it good for carving? Foodsafe?

cheers

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm interested in this (always nice to see a different bit of wood). False Acacia, according to Wikipedia, is Robinia pseudoacacia, otherwise known as Black locust, in the Laburnum family. They are generally regarded as poisonous, and the foliage is certainly toxic to eat. Not sure about the wood. I have some ordinary laburnum and it is hard as a rock when dry. Good carving wood. Would probably burn well, although some people would worry about the smoke thus produced.

Hmm, the plants for a future database says "All parts of the plant (except the flowers) and especially the bark, should be considered to be toxic. The toxins are destroyed by heat". On wood it says "The bark is used to make paper and is a substitute for silk and wool. Trees sucker freely, especially if coppiced, and they can be used for stabilizing banks etc. Wood - close-grained, exceedingly hard, heavy, very strong, resists shock and is very durable in contact with the soil. It weighs 45lb per cubic foot and is used in shipbuilding and for making fence posts, treenails, floors etc. A very good fuel, but it should be used with caution because it flares up and projects sparks"

Seems my rough guesses were reasonable then. Ordinary laburnum is absolutely gorgeous when carved, polished and finished. I would definitely have a go at making something from it, if your tools are sharp enough.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I hear black locust is a very good bow wood. Lot of it used in the states for bows.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The false acacia's wood is excellent for carving & making things as well as fire wood.It is also used as tutors & fence posts in vineyards. It is a very hard wood & resistant to rot.
Only the bark & roots are really toxic, the seeds & young leaves are a little toxic, even though the leaves are sometimes used to feed cattle. The lovely scented flowers can be eaten, usually covered in batter, deep fried, then sprinkled with icing sugar ( much like elder berry flowers)
The sap is said to taste like liquorice, but I can't vouch for that as I'm not a sap drinker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE