Fallkniven

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Hi all,

I've just had a look at Fallknivens web site and it would appear you can now buy the blades seperate and fit your own handles.

Anyone seen or tried these?

I'm a big fan of the F1 and am tempted to get an F1 blank, Ive got some box wood or stag antler that would look pretty good on one of those.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
They sell them here. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the idea for these was developed on the fallkniven forum at knifeforums.com. Shows what forums can do, eh. :-D

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Will, I remember you with your F1 on the course never really looked at it though. What blade design is it ect etc - why do you like it?

Gary.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Thanks for the links guys.

Gary, the main reasons I like the F1 is for these reasons;

Take a look at my reply here

http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?t=23&highlight=

I played about re-profiling knives of different grind types and found that pretty much any grind type can bite into wood exactly the same as the scandi type blades.

The F1 lends itself well to this sort of re-profiling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the scandi blades too, and for a long time thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. (i'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere..... :wink: )
But I do think there is a lot of myth surrounding them.

As long as the individual is confident in sharpening freehand there realy is no need to limit yourself to scandi blades.

I'm sure if anyone were to play around re-profiling blade types for long enough they would make similar discoveries. (and I'm sure there are a few on these forums who have done similar). Then all you have to settle on is personal preference, and the way the knife performs when re-profiled, handle shape, fit and feel etc. And thats what led me to the F1.

Other reasons are as follows;

The F1 is such a simply constructed knife, only 3 main components (blade, one piece handle and thong hole tube). No bolts, rivets or scales to come off. There is very little can go wrong with it.
Top quality VG10 stainless holds a good edge for a long time, with little to no corrosion.
Good choice of sheath options. My choice is either of the leather sheaths (dangler type with a pack, closed type to be discreet) with a firesteel secured to it using bike inertube.
I did smooth off the grip as suggested by Ben, it was never uncomfortable before but is a little more tactile now.

Regards

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have used the F1 for a long time now, its is superb. I have changed the grind slightly and made an alternative sheath, but the basic knife is excellent.
Although you guys have said a Firesteel works best with carbon steels, this combination is the best I have come across, not suprising as it is the SAF's survival knife and the Firesteel was developed,in part bt Lars Fjallt.
Very excited that the F1 is available as a "blade only purchase", a challenge to the RM Woodlore Knife perhaps?
Neil1

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tony are you reading this? I need a F1 to test - see if its as good as they say!!

HELLO TONY!! Hes gone all silent!!

Thanks for the info guys will be looking into this.

What the url for the blade only place?

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
If you get one of the new F1's (the laminated ones) they come with a slightly thinner edge allready, much less work to re-profile. The one you saw of mine Gary, was one of the old ones, re-profiled kind of looks like a scandi blade.

Neil1 is right about use with a firesteel, throws the most impressive shower of sparks out of all my knives :)

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
A while back I wrote an article that has been posted on Outdoors-Online magazine (Sargey knows the url), anyhow, the photo at the top of the page shows the F1 and firesteel in action (very impressive pic). The article is called "All Kitted Out" BTW.
Neil1

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello.
I have one laminated F1 and can say.
The blade has convex grind 5mm thick and can be sharped to razorsharp very easy by mousepad+sandpaper way or freehand.
This grind is very strong and can cut wood well but not as efficient as one flat bevel grind.
You must decide:
Convex= strong bevel+no difficult to sharp+good general cutter.
Flat one bevel= no so strong+easy to sharp+better wood carving.
Tasks:
The back of blade is sharp so no problem to get sparks form firesteel as many as with my carbon blades, as you notice teh important item is sharp edge to cut material from the firesteel.
Feathers sticks:
No problem no as easy as with one flat bevel grind because you cann´t rest the bevel over the stick but with care you can get good long shaving keeping the angle between blade and stick.
I´m up set in 3 way with handle:
1.Too much square back of the handel that after some feathersticks dig in my hand incommode.
2.Too short, for my taste should be one or two longer so when you use with reverse grip the end of handle will not dig in your hand.
3.Yes the surface is very pointy, you have very good grip no slippery but with hard work unconfortable, very abrasive.
Shealth:
I got the kydex option no comments happy with it, very easy to take the knife from an easy to take knife in.
Summary:
If you want a survival knife that you can use to pry and abuse take it.
If you want a better wood cutter go for a thinner blade and other kind of grind.
That´s life you always have to make elections and take the way.
Enjoy

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I have been using a Fällkniven S1 for almost a year now. I´ve been using both for bushcraft and for military use. Ive been using it from cutting down small trees to carving spoons. I have been abusing the knife pretty much but the blade is still razor sharp. The nest knifebuy will probably be a F1, maybe with a micarta handle =)

If you making your own handle it´s possible to buy the sheats separatly.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
taqe7ude.jpg

I put a new handle on mine when I ruined the rubber one battening.i know it's not finished too the best standard but it is a working knife n left it lke that so I wouldn't be scared of using it.this is my only knife see.i think the blanks have holes in for brass rivets I had too get a friend who's a lock smith too drill mine cause it was impossible too drill with conventional steel bits

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE