Fallkniven U1 long term opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
These have been out for a while now, and prices have changed just a bit!

Any long term owners here with any thought in the knife as an EDC? I've already got a few favourites, pk70, proper, and such, but I really like the look of the U1, however it's a pretty hefty price these days given how little there is to it! Would you guys buy again on todays market? I love my TK3, which is overpriced, and never touch my LTC, which is even more overpriced. So my current fallkniven opinion is divided!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
They certainly have been out a while - surely ten years or more!

I can’t comment as an owner but as someone who tried it for a while back. Great blade but naff handle. I ended up making some full sized scales for a few people which vastly improved it. Quite soft spring, if I remember correctly. Would I pay £185 for one (a quick google) - nope!

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have a U2 and a U4. The U2 is brilliant, and really the same blade. I really rate the U2 as an edc, even though it is a lock back.

Would I buy the U1, no.... would I buy the U2 again if I lost it, yes

Reactions: Billy-o

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have a U2 and a U4. The U2 is brilliant, and really the same blade. I really rate the U2 as an edc, even though it is a lock back.

Would I buy the U1, no.... would I buy the U2 again if I lost it, yes
Only downer with the U2 is how light the handle is. Solid as it’s frn but I would have liked more weight to it. I do regret selling the one I had though.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I was gifted a preproduction from Fallkniven U2. Loved the knife, hated the band, er name. It could be made SHARP vs a SAK that dulls looking at it.
Then one day a supervisor pinched it literally as I turned my back. I needed the lousy job.
When I left , the F1 balanced the universe with four brand new Michelin tyres on his Corvette .

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
I tried the U1 back when decent UK legal slippies were few and far between.

Only my humble opinion but comes from a period of ownership and use.

For any cuts requiring anything more than a slightly firm grip on the handle, i found it to be one of the most uncomfortable folding knives i have ever used.

The scales are woefully short of the liners and the liners have agressive edges / corners.

The blade is capable of so much more than the handle will allow.

If you can pick one up second hand then maybe give it a go or mod it with some new scales.

In my opinion and experience there are much better UK legal slippies out there now for the same 'new price' money

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I owned one, then sold it. Then thought maybe I should give it another go. Still didn't like it.

It has visual value, which is I guess why you're asking, I suppose. It's certainly why I got one. I found it heavy for its size and the blade action too soft for my taste. Also the frame's a bit too thin and angular ... even peeling an an apple was made trickier than it ever need be by this lack in handiness. I still think it is pretty.

I had larger bone handles put on it. These enclose the frame and are great but it makes the knife less pocketable by a margin

Corso: there's a trick one can do with a well-fitting backlock to slipjointize it. Used to be a popular pursuit. In BB days there were a couple of people you could pay a small sum to. Bit of judicious filing on the notch to round it slightly. Not really a slipjoint, in that there's no spring involved, but similar in effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: hughlle1

award95

Jun 23, 2013
Kettlebridge
I bought one. Sold it. Missed it. Bought another.
I think the thing is - realistically how often does a wee slipjoint get heavy use? Although the blade is capable of a lot more than the comfort of the handle will allow it is still quite a nice wee knife.
Bottom line is - if you like it buy it. I like mine.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a U2 and a TK4.
the U2 is one of the nicest knives I own, it's all about the blade and the handle is just there to hold onto. It's as understated as its possible to get.
The TK4 really should be just about the same but slightly bigger but the I just can't get on with it. The badge on it kind of irritates me as I really like the pure functionality with zero fancy details like the U2 has.
But, its a lockknife and although I absolutely love the U2, it needs a reason to carry it.
So I've ended up with a Manly Wasp.

If they made a factory non locking U2, I'd be all over it.
I'm really not one of those people who like "Reassuring Weight in my back pocket" personally I don't want extra weight just for the sake of it.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I tried the U1 back when decent UK legal slippies were few and far between.

Only my humble opinion but comes from a period of ownership and use.

For any cuts requiring anything more than a slightly firm grip on the handle, i found it to be one of the most uncomfortable folding knives i have ever used.

The scales are woefully short of the liners and the liners have agressive edges / corners.

The blade is capable of so much more than the handle will allow.

If you can pick one up second hand then maybe give it a go or mod it with some new scales.

In my opinion and experience there are much better UK legal slippies out there now for the same 'new price' money
This is how I felt too, good assessment

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
This is how I felt too, good assessment
If your very careful, knocking off the edge of the lock, you can create a sort of rocking lock that acts like a slip joint.

I have done it before (by accident), but you have to get it just right (other attempts had mixed results)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think the thing is - realistically how often does a wee slipjoint get heavy use?
Every day, from opening feed sacks to slicing bailer twine on hay bales to cutting vet wrap. I think my feeling is that a good ergonomic handle and fairly strong blade are vital.

Reactions: Potatohead

AndyH

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
Shetland
I had one with cocobolo scales, which disappeared out of my desk drawer at work when I went into hospital. I replaced it with what I think is white bone. The trouble is that it is too nice to use!

Look at Lamnia.com for reasonable prices on Fallkniven knives. Even better than Heinnie prices.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE