Fallkniven H1- any info?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Greetings all,

Are there any long-term users of a Fallkniven H1 out there who'd be willing to share their experiences? I like the F1's steel but don't find the handle comfortable. I think the H1 might be the answer.

(Also, does anyone near Inverness or Elgin own an H1 they'd be willing to let me try?)

Over to you.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
(Un) fortunately I bought most of their models some years back. Overall, handles are uncomfortable. Knives ridiculously thick for my style of cutting. I do not baton.
I am not at home, but I think the H1 has a blade 4.7 mm thick or so?
Apart from the WM1, they are all drawer queens. F1 would be the one I would use if I HAD to use one, apart from the WM.
Being from Sweden, these products I am not proud of.

Sorry to be negative.

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Definitely my preferred blade between the H and the F. I've rehandled one (or two) but that's more because I find the Kraton boring.

I know there were a lot of fans on BB back in the day.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
One think I have noticed with the Fällkniven knives ( VG10 laminated) has puzzled me for years:
When I used them, I noticed that the exposed steel scratches fairly easily.
We have other Laminated blades but they do not scratch so easily.

I wonder what the hardness is in the outside steel.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I think it is 420J. And yes, you can carve your initials in it with your thumbnail. The idea is a mediaeval one; a hard and possibly brittle core surrounded by a super tough, malleable outer

The H1 is a great knife, I think. The sides need thinning a bit if you can ... I found it helps, but it is pretty good as is

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
(Un) fortunately I bought most of their models some years back. Overall, handles are uncomfortable. Knives ridiculously thick for my style of cutting. I do not baton.
I am not at home, but I think the H1 has a blade 4.7 mm thick or so?
Apart from the WM1, they are all drawer queens. F1 would be the one I would use if I HAD to use one, apart from the WM.
Being from Sweden, these products I am not proud of.

Sorry to be negative.

Thanks for your reply- all POVs helpful, esp as I don't want to waste my time or money.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Definitely my preferred blade between the H and the F. I've rehandled one (or two) but that's more because I find the Kraton boring.

I know there were a lot of fans on BB back in the day.

Thanks for your input. What sort of jobs did it do well? Were there any areas where it was a challenge, perhaps because of the thickness or grind?

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I think it is 420J. And yes, you can carve your initials in it with your thumbnail. The idea is a mediaeval one; a hard and possibly brittle core surrounded by a super tough, malleable outer

The H1 is a great knife, I think. The sides need thinning a bit if you can ... I found it helps, but it is pretty good as is

Ok, thanks for your reply. Any specific strengths and weaknesses? All thoughts welcomed.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
One think I have noticed with the Fällkniven knives ( VG10 laminated) has puzzled me for years:
When I used them, I noticed that the exposed steel scratches fairly easily.
We have other Laminated blades but they do not scratch so easily.

I wonder what the hardness is in the outside steel.

Thanks for sharing. I don't know about that feature as I don't own one, just borrowed one for a short while.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
like so many knives, especially those designed for a particular reason or use, they are not suitable for all occasions, the H1 is a Hunters knife and roughly based on a butchers knife, not really much use for general bushcraft.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for that last insight.
Any F1 supporters out there? I'm wondering if I should have a second look.

Reactions: Billy-o

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Tip?
I thought the H1 had a generally strong and "bulletproof" blade.
I think I have seen comments about the F1 tip breaking.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Thanks for that last insight.
Any F1 supporters out there? I'm wondering if I should have a second look.

F1 is good. I sold my regular one and bought a micarta one. It is in all ways a more refined item. Blade is flat ground at the spine then hollow ground and convexed at the edge. Nicely balanced, too. But, even with this comparison, the regular old F1 remains a good knife. There was a bunch of stories that the initial model of the F1, which was completely VG10, snapped in the cold. Hence, the 420 jacket. I don't know if that is true, but those were the stories twelve to fifteen years ago

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Fallkniven contracted originally with Linder of Solingen Germany to make the F-1 model using ATS-34, after the original F1 prototypes were made in Japan. I believe there was a fall out with Solingen when they started making the Linder Super Edge I. Which looks very close to the F1.

Fallniven could not find a suitable maker in the US or Europe, so production then went over to Japan.

Hattori Seki stepped up and suggested a new steel heretofore not widely used; Takefu Specialty Steel’s VG10. In mid 1997 Hattori started making the F1s which were solid VG10.

Although I cannot find reference, I do remember issues with brittleness of the blades, in lower temperatures.

Later the VG10 core with 420j2 side laminate was introduced, and Fallkniven claims a 20% increase in strength over the solid VG10 blade with well over 200 lbs of lateral strength as tested by Lulea University, Sweden.

Reactions: DocG

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks to all who have replied - all info gratefully received.
Does anyone in the Moray area own an H1 or F1? I have only handled one once and very briefly while gutting fish, so I'd appreciate the chance to hold and maybe cut with one. It's a chunk of cash to pay for a knife without being able to "fondle" it first - if you'll forgive the expression.
Thanks for the review link, gra.farmer.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
F1 is good. I sold my regular one and bought a micarta one. It is in all ways a more refined item. Blade is flat ground at the spine then hollow ground and convexed at the edge. Nicely balanced, too. But, even with this comparison, the regular old F1 remains a good knife. There was a bunch of stories that the initial model of the F1, which was completely VG10, snapped in the cold. Hence, the 420 jacket. I don't know if that is true, but those were the stories twelve to fifteen years ago
Is this a "normal" F1 or one of the newer versions that Fallkniven have released?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE