Fallkniven F1 sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tinweasle

Jan 14, 2011
Herts, beds, bucks border
Hi everyone, I have recently got my hands on a F1, but I have been told I can't sharpen it using a my water stones or a Faulkniven ceramic sharpener is this right, and how should I sharpen it?

Many thanks

Shaun

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
no reason whatsoever why you can't sharpen it with either of those things
as to how you should sharpen it; gently, slowly, and carefully - it's one of those things that i can show you how to do but couldn't explain in a million years

stuart

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Shaun- it has a convex edge, so wheras you can sharpen then with those items, you will need to take a lot of care, and there is a bit of a danger in you reducing the convex edge if you mess up. I have gone over to wet and dry paper and a mousemat with my fallkniven S1 for that purpose- plenty of advice around on how to use this type of sharpener (and some good videos on you tube). I found ebay a good place to get extremely fine grit wet and dry paper.

Good luck.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
They probably told you that because the F1 is a convex grind rather than a flat grind. It is possible to sharpen convex grinds on a flat stone but it is harder.
Put a bit of wet n dry on a mousemat and strop (spine leading) and that will sharpen it up :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Who the hell seriously thinks that because something has a convex grind that its impossible to sharpen them with ceramic or waterstones?

Come on, hands up you spanners.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi everyone, I have recently got my hands on a F1, but I have been told I can't sharpen it using a my water stones or a Faulkniven ceramic sharpener is this right, and how should I sharpen it?

Many thanks

Shaun

I think you can, but it takes some time to master the skills. I don't even attempt, glad enough I can get a scandi (V-shaped grind) nice and sharp. I use a Hoodoo hone for my F1, which works great, costs next to nothing and is easy in use.

Have a look here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11571
Just swap the wooden board for a piece of computer mouse (foam) pad.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
To say that you cannot sharpen a full convex with flat sharpening hones (because the bevels are curved and the hone is flat) is as correct as saying you cannot draw a curved line with a straight pencil :lol:

Try this for size, it might not be waterstones or DC4 that I use, (I'm a fan of DMT hones) but the principal is exactly the same for all flat hones .....

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?110303-Sharpening-Convexes-with-Flat-Hones

What Ian said!!
My best.
Chris.

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
Like this thread, just learnt a few things watching some of these tutorials you guys have posted.

Being a carpenter all my chisels have always been beveled edge, awaiting delivery of a F1,and now I know how to sharpen it properly.

Thanks Guys

Mike

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
I have an F1 and it took me a few attempts with the old mousemat/paper method.

Initially I did more blunting than sharpening of the F1 and was getting pretty frustrated. Then I realised that the pressure applied to the blade on the paper was the most important factor, and you have to get a feel for it.

Now my F1 is always like a razor :)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Who the hell seriously thinks that because something has a convex grind that its impossible to sharpen them with ceramic or waterstones?

Come on, hands up you spanners.

Not me, but I will now.

Its a lot harder to sharpen with flat stones, as the knife is convex. A sandpaper and mousemat method is very cheap to make, and once made, it takes you 60 seconds to sharpen your F1 to razor sharp. Also, as a newcomer to the sharpening world, this method is easier to keep your bevel true and straight as each stroke contacts the whole bevel.

Dont confuse newcomers with complex methods when its clear the mosuemat and sandpapre method is easier. Yes its possible to sharpen it on a river rock, but its not as easy.

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
Gordonmac, how much pressure do you use?

I start off lightly pressing down on the blade so that the pressure applied is just ever so slightly more than the weight of the blade itself. It sometimes takes a while, but it stops the paper from raising up at the point of the blade when dragged - essentially blunting the edge, requiring you to start over again.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
I'm amazed! I have been sharpening my F1 for a couple of years using my wetstones, but always felt like it could have been sharper. Now, from reading this thread, I understand why...the convex grind!

I went and got some 400 and 600 grit wetanddry paper and stuck it to an old mousemat and VOILA, the best edge I have got yet!

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. :)

Chris

Fluffy

Feb 8, 2009
kent
Boringly I find sponge mousemats have too much give, especially if you are tentative.
Hard mousemats or leather belts on wood are fine :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE