Fallkniven A1

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hello all,

A little bit if advice is require from you good wise people if possible.

I'm considering buying a Fallkniven A1. I'm not really looking for alternative suggestions, yes I know it's expensive, yes I know it's bigger than most bush craft knives. I've considered that and still want one.

What I would like to know is, has anyone had any bad experiences, I can only find good reviews, and I've never owned a convex grind, what should I know, how do I sharpen it.

Thanks in advance for your wise words,

Andy.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Great knife, bit thick but good as a general purpose knife. Not a great carver, splits well. (personally i prefer the A2)

No bad experiences from mine, Sold it cos i didn't use it much as i had an A2.

Sharpen it on one of these as you would an axe... Block of wood with some rubber on the base for grip. Some foam sleep mat with wet and dry pinned over it. Easiest and most effective sharpening method in the world for a convex edge. Works for axes too. think its known as the hoodoo hone on here :)

This was mine
IMG_6362.jpg

Though i preffered this which is the same knife, just 2" longer, so it chops better and can split bigger rounds of wood.
IMG_6360.jpg

P1030029_zps3277affa.jpg

P1030031_zps7f6c325b.jpg

P1030034_zps59c077ff.jpg

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No worries. :)

Your not a million miles from me so if you want showing how to sharpen them properly etc, then feel free to call round and i'll show you how its done. :)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
There is a reason why you haven't seen a bad review on a Fallkniven, they are superb knives, and an A1 or any Falkie will give you a lifetime of good service.

A loaded strop and 'little and often' stropping is the way to go on a new blade, or Mark's stellar advice as above if the blade gets really dull and you need to re-profile.

Agree with Mark also regarding the A2, consider this and a smaller knife as an ideal combo if funds allow.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The above sharpening method is good even if it doesn't need a re profile, you just start on a high grit paper... 600 or a 1000 depending on how much ya wanna do.. Strop on a slack leather belt afterwards.

A stropping block - leather over foam - is what you want for these as the convex is fairly steep compared to a full convex :)

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Good knife but I must agree with Mark that the A2 is the superior knife.
I did a small review on the A2 over on British Blades a while back, after I did this I bought an A1 did a similar test with that, I prefer the A2 but I like big knives...a lot....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I really dislike the F1 - I find it crude....but the scale of the A2...meaning enough length to apply chopping torque....makes the grind and thickness work

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Used an S1 for many years only give it because I like using cheaper knives like the 3.2mm mora. Never had a problem with the S1, like every knife it takes time and practice to be good using it.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
My A1 is my "go to" now if I'm in the bush for anything other than an easy (path) dogwalk.

Its not your best whittler as mentioned but its capable whilst still able to process decent splits of firewood, gets an awesome edge and keeps it.

Never tried an A2 but always fancied one, but this came up on here and its plenty of knife for what I want/need for now and even invested in a nice Martinsheaths digi-camo Kydex sheath for it piggybacking a wee molle pouch carrying a U2 and some sharpening stuff so its a good system for me, for now!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE