Fairy door

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Someone took this picture and called it a fairy door. Only thing is, we don’t have fairies in Hawaii. We have menehune.

beec7cba83c47c6c276583c2ced18005.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a popular hill we can see from our house that offer has fairy doors on the trees at the top. The fairy steps is one route to the top. Every so often they get taken away. Littering because many are shop bought tat.

That's a nice looking one homemade I reckon.

Reactions: hanzo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a pretty one :)

There are loads around here; the kids learn about the trees and this kind of attracts them.

I don't know where it started, but someone wrote the name of every weed they saw growing up in pavements, gutters, along fence lines, etc., with chalk. Again, it caught folks attention and the kids learn the names of the weeds :)

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Someone took this picture and called it a fairy door. Only thing is, we don’t have fairies in Hawaii. We have menehune.
Could it be that the Menehune are distantly related to the European Gnomes?
Both build similar shaped portals resembling human doors as entrances to the magical realm.

Reactions: hanzo and Nice65

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I don't know where it started, but someone wrote the name of every weed they saw growing up in pavements, gutters, along fence lines, etc., with chalk. Again, it caught folks attention and the kids learn the names of the weeds
For a change a good idea from "someone". :thumbsup:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

There are loads around here; the kids learn about the trees and this kind of attracts them.

I don't know where it started, but someone wrote the name of every weed they saw growing up in pavements, gutters, along fence lines, etc., with chalk. Again, it caught folks attention and the kids learn the names of the weeds :)
It started in Toulouse apparently and then during lockdown it was taken up here to make the local walks more interesting.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Just need to introduce the Latin component. and put them off for life. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about uses instead ?
It's edible, it tastes peppery/mustard kind of nippy. It's used in a wild food stir fry. Don't eat a lot, but a little is fine :)
Herbally it's used to stop bleeding.

Reactions: TeeDee

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

beec7cba83c47c6c276583c2ced18005.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s nicely done. I like it when there are some done with care and attention. If it’s a purchased one that is just lazily nailed on with no thought of the detail of how it blends into the tree, not a fan. I did make some simple ones some time back but I’m a little inspired to make some more for the house I’m now in. I think passers by may be able to catch a glance from the street while walking by and it might raise a smile or two.

Reactions: hanzo and Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally I like to see my trees unadorned - but I am an old "grumpy".
If Fairies want a door let the lazy so-and-sos build their own!
I do like the pavement graffiti though :)

Reactions: hanzo and Kepis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE